Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Axolotl's in the fridge but getting worse.

Meleficia

Reaction score
We recently moved our axolotl to his new home, a 55 gallon long and his health declined, now he’s in the fridge, and not responding to it well.
Here’s what we did.
His old tank was a 25 gal with sand substrate, live plants, and a sponge filter. His water temp stayed in the 65-69F range. We did a weekly water change of 25% and tested the water weekly. We age the water for a week with a dechlorinator (API tap water conditioner.) His levels were all good (Ammo- nothing registered, NitrITE not registered, NitrATE barely registering sometimes, if ever.) His diet was nightcrawlers and bloodworms as a treat. He was in the 25 gal for almost a year, then we decided he needed more cruising room and got the upgrade.
For the new tank we cycled it for 2 weeks with an inoculation from his 25 gal tank, and tested daily the last 3 days (API master test kit (with high range PH)+ copper test.) The numbers didn’t move so we went ahead and moved him in.
The new tank has a slate bottomed floor, live plants, a sponge filter and a penguin 100 (baffled of course.) Before moving him in we checked for current and found the sponge was the worst offender, after adjustments things were calm.
When we transferred him we put him in his old quarantine container and slowly replaced his 100% old tank water with new tank water (we did it slow, took most of the day). Then we introduced him to his bigger home. He didn’t eat for the first few days, but we chalked that up to being in a new place. After a week went by and our daily-eater hadn’t wanted his food, we started to get worried. He also developed light-mucous-y patches on his skin (he’s a wild type.)His body slime also felt different than his usual, it was stickier and clung to my hand longer.
Now here’s where the troubles come in: Our thermometer wasn’t reading correctly, so his water got up to 76F. The only reason we knew was because we were checking EVERYTHING and it felt warmer than the water in his old tank. So we used a different thermometer and about fell over. So we put ice bottles in, raise the light by an inch, and add a fan over the grating. Temps back down to 68-69F. We figure give him a couple of days to get over being too hot and he should be ok again…It’s been two weeks and not a thing. Two days ago we decided to fridge him, if nothing else than to buy us time to figure out what was wrong. We followed the guide from here: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...ick-axolotl/85263-axolotl-fridging-guide.html
Now he’s not responsive at all, the only reason we know he’s still alive is he flaps his gills occasionally.
Day 1 he sloughed off a bunch of slime, it was clear but some pieces had black spots on it, the best way I can describe it is when a person with freckles peels after a sunburn. He seemed sluggish, but mostly himself.
Last night he was very sluggish but still mobile. Nothing in his water this time though.
Today we’ve repeatedly thought he was dead due to his lack of response. He only moved once tonight during the water change.

Skudo09

Reaction score
When you noticed the slime coat shedding, did you check the parameters? How did you cycle the new tank exactly?

For now, I would maybe remove him from the fridge (adjust him slowly to the warmer temperature) if he is not showing improvement in the fridge. Maybe keep him in a tub somewhere cool and continue to do 100% water changes daily whilst he is in the tub. It may be worth giving him a black tea bath which may help soothe the skin. Black tea also has some mild antibacterial and antifungal properties. Here is a link to how this can be done:

Caudata Culture Articles - Illness Part 2

Are you able to post some photos as well?

Meleficia

Reaction score
The tank was cycled by filling with week old, dechlorinated water, added a gallon of the existing tank's water, and inoculated the new sponge filter with the existing one by squishing the two together in a bucket of tank water. We also added Nutrafin Cycle per the directions. The live plants were plants from the existing tank. After adding everything we set it up and ran it as though there was an inhabitant (air going, filters going, 8 hr light cycle, ect.) Every few days we added ~4 cups of existing tank water to "feed" the growing bacterial colonies.

We checked the water when we noticed his skin looked odd, but nothing was reading except a trace of nitrate.

I'll try to get photos and post them.

Last edited:

Meleficia

Reaction score
I hope these pics are good enough, I still have a pre-smartphone camera phone. If they aren't clear enough the "white skin patches" here Photos of Sick Axolotls are very similar

Attachments

• 20150913_042801.jpg
    20150913_042801.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 291
  • 20150913_042825.jpg
    20150913_042825.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 170
  • 20150913_042836.jpg
    20150913_042836.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 159
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1