Looking at what Newts I can keep in Bangkok

Phoenix Rising

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hi

I'm now living near Bangkok in an non air-conditioned dwelling and would like some suggestions on what newts would be suitable for living and breeding here.

I used to have a breeding group each of Japanese and Chinese newts that produced a lot of young so I'm wanting to try and see what I can have success with here.

All suggestions readily accepted.

Am thinking my favorites Kaiseri and Tylototriton might be out with having temperature control available.

I should add that we don't have a reliable power source as power cuts here are frequent.

Thank you

It probably depends on the temperatures in your house. If you live at a higher elevation or near the coast you might have cooler temperatures. If your house is in the mid 80s or 90s most of the time, it would probably be easier to have aquatic species, as they are easier to cool. You might be able to keep Tylototriton, but it really depends on the temps. You could also look into native species.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back