Ammonia levels in tank

Puddlenewts

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, so we got a water testing kit and when we run the ammonia test it at a 2-3 range everytime we test it, we do partial water replacements everyday , but just wondering if this is a bad environment for our baby salamders? they seem to be healthy but not sure what the appropraite level is for living conditions. We tested the tap water and it has 0. any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Ammonia should not be measurable in an established tank, but until it is fully cycled you will get readings like that. Anything above 1.2ppm can be toxic, so carry on doing the partial water changes to keep it as low as possible and watch the salamanders for stress. One of the first signs is when they scratch at their gills with their back feet or roll over and scratch themselves on the bottom. You can kick start the cycle by adding lots of live plants and filter media from a cycled tank if that's an option.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back