Very pale body related to constipation?

ChristineB

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Christine
One of my leucistic P. waltls went very pale a couple days ago. Her sister has always been a little darker, but now the difference is stark; the affected one (Gussie) is almost pure white instead of her normal pink. She's still eating, seems normally active, and neither the other leucistic or the wild type in her tank seem affected. I checked water quality and the only thing off was high nitrates. (I wasn't checking as often since I have a zillion plants in there, but that explains the algae bloom.)

I did a couple partial water changes the last couple days and everything is back in the ideal ranges, no ammonia of course! But Gussie isn't darker, so now I don't think that's the problem. I have noticed that while not floating or struggling, she does seem to be carrying her rear end a little high, and the tank is looking a bit overgrown, so it's extremely possible she could have swallowed some java moss or other plants while eating to cause constipation. Could that be all it is? I found one reference in my forum search to a pale axie that resolved after pooping. Gussie looks dark on her translucent sides, but not sure if that's what she's digested, or she's gravid again.

Anything else I should watch for or do? How long should I give her before drastic measures like fridging to induce pooping? (If that's even a good idea.) Up until now, Gussie has always been my biggest, strongest, healthiest newt!

BTW, she's a young adult, doing well on Hikari Carnivore pellets (semi moist). It's an established 50-gallon tank, and I think the nitrate spike was from overfeeding during my vacation last month, so should now be resolved.

Well, I believe Gussie has pooped, but she's still very pale. Sometimes I think she looks better, but then I'll see her looking almost yellowy-pale. Meanwhile, her sister Finknottle is even darker pink than usual. I'm always worrying they are too dark and veiny, and now I've got one too pale; I'm never happy. :eyeroll: If anybody has any input on variations in leucistic coloring that might be relevant, I'd love to hear it. Meanwhile I'm just maintaining good care, waiting and watching.

Here's a picture of pale Gussie on the left. She's a little sluggish but eating great, just so pale! I read inactivity does make them paler, but she used to be super active.

Attachments

• IMG_20150923_140807_hdr_kindlephoto-493304484.jpg
    IMG_20150923_140807_hdr_kindlephoto-493304484.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 170
Better picture

Here's a better pic from today's feeding frenzy.

Attachments

• IMG_20150923_151638_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20150923_151638_hdr.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 239
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back