Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Unexpected Additions!

mayan

Reaction score
I keep my axolotls separated with a tank divider but a few days ago I came home to find Rocket (my female Axolotl) had managed to get into Groot's half of the tank! I put Rocket back into her side but the day after I woke up to eggs! :shocked:

I managed to scrounge another tank and have separated the eggs into there to stop the parents from snacking on them.

Can anyone give me any advice on what to do? I found the eggs 2/3 days ago now.

mayan

Reaction score
Thanks. Just wondering if there was anything more specific people could tell me? Like any tips in terms of feeding etc. I also wanted to know how people keep them once they've hatched. I've read some forums says not to keep them in plastic but buying tanks for all of them seems excessive and I don't have a lot of room in my house (I wasn't expecting to have babies) but some forums say they keep individuals in tuppaware boxes which sounds more reasonable to me :p

Renette

Reaction score
When they first hatch they can all be together. I was told that being her first batch many wouldn't survive but as she laid hundreds of eggs I did dispose of some before they developed very far. I kept quiet a few and have found almost none have died so I have far too many. Be aware of this before they get any bigger. Choose how many you are going to want to raise or think you can sell/give away and keep some extra but do it now before they get any older.

My tank was a little warm 22deg so they hatched really early 9-10days. As it is recommended that daily water changes are made and they are fed 2 times a day, I found this too difficult in the big glass tank they were in, so I used some large low plastic storage containers. As each container has a bubbler in it I have used larger containers and keep a number of Axies together. At 3 weeks of age I have divided them into colours because the heard and it may be true that the wild types grow quicker and are more aggressive than the lights.

As they grow I will have less in each container and eventually move to individual food takeaway containers. I hope this helps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!