Fire Belly Newt baby

kleber

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. In my science classroom, we have a male and female firebelly newt. Last spring we discovered one fertile egg clinging to a plant. We documented its growth and it now has lost its gills and is spending a lot of time on the surface, on the floating dock and clinging to the sides of the aquarium. While the parents have always been strictly aquatic, this little fellow seems to want land. Is this typical? Should we set up a different tank for him with half land, half water? Should he be separated from the parents now that he is fully developed? We are so exicited that he survived! Thanks

Welcome! Your newt is an eft stage juvenile. We have a care-sheet on here for efts somewhere :happy:

Welcome! Your newt is an eft stage juvenile. We have a care-sheet on here for efts somewhere :happy:
Can the juvenile and the parents share the same semiaquatic tank or will the parents be trying to get the juvenile out of their tank or harm him? I live in a 1000 acre forest in southeastern PA and have lovely hardwood tree leaf litter and humus soil. I also have a small spring fed stream and moss covered rocks. Will it be okay to create a tank with the rocks, soil, leaflitter, moss, and ferns and put in a shallow one quart plastic container for the aquatic option with a bridge to climb in and out?

Our classroom fire belly newts are in a tank with water, plants, and a floating turtle dock. The male and female were given to us with this set up and they are completely aquatic. They have a baby that just morphed into a juvenile. From your care sheets I now see that the juvenile's need a terrestrial or semi terrestrial set up. The juvenile is mostly hanging out on the dock or on top of plants. He can swim just fine.
- Do I need to separate the juvenile from the parents?
-Will the parents harm him if they continue to share a tank?
- I want to make a tank that has as much land as it does water. I live in a 1000 acre forest in southeastern PA and have lovely hardwood tree leaf litter and humus soil. I also have a small spring fed stream and moss covered rocks. Will it be okay to create a tank with the rocks, soil, leaf litter, moss, and ferns on one side and one quart plastic container for the aquatic option with a bridge to climb in and out? Thanks for your help!

If he/she is small enough to be eaten, remove it. Make sure it gets small live foods no matter what kind of set-up it is in, if terrestrial, use pin-head crickets, fruit flies, spring-tails, etc. Aquatically, use daphnia, brine shrimp, chopped night-crawlers, blood-worms and black-worms

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back