Question: Considering getting an Axolotl

emwil90

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over the past few days I have been researching the care of Axolotls and I see there is quite a lot to take in!!! I don't know if everything I'm reading is necessary as I'm reading lots of different things, so I was just wondering if you guys could let me know of the really important things to know about when caring for them, to keep them happy and healthy.
My main concern is the water maintenance, what things do you need to do to keep it Axolotl safe?
I would love to own one, I just want to know what I'm doing so I can care for it properly!:D

Hello!
Axolotls are lovely, quirky pets to keep as a hobby.

Concerning the water parameters; I've owned a healthy, robust, lively Axolotl who I raised from 2 months. I've kept him exclusively in reverse-osmosis-filtered water. I have never added conditioners or kept track of any ph/nitrate levels. Everyone goes on about how sensitive Axolotls are to water, but mine has flourished and never shown signs of illness in regular filtered water :)
I have him in a very large custom aquarium with a low flow filter and heater on minimal settings. His gills are fluffy and bright; he's 10 inches in length at one year old! He eats Canadian night crawlers, live guppies, and occasional frozen brine shrimp. He's never been ill or shown signs of distress!

Good luck! Be careful where you purchase your Axolotl and don't support people who exploit salamanders for profit. Make sure they're a knowledgeable, responsible breeder :)
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try finding a reputabel breeder and talking to them. Much safer than taking conflicting advice from the internet.
Axolotl.org is one of the most reliable sources online though, along with caudata.org.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back