Illness/Sickness: Sick Axolotls

AlexV

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I have 4 axolotls that have been healthy since I got them 4 months ago. I came back after bring away for the weekend to find that all 4 had lost weight and all had bumps covering their body (see picture). one of them had a white patch on its side/ under belly(attached picture). So I cleaned the entire tank and began salt baths for what I thought was fungus, however now three days into giving salt baths there has been no improvement and now 3 of them have the white patch in close to the same spot. I was wondering if anyone had experienced this or had any advice on how to get them back to health? I have looked into vets and was unable to find one that treat them. the tank has been holding at 16C.

Thanks in advance, Alex

Just FYI there are no attached photos.
Never mind, just saw your second post.

Then guy I know recommended Black Tea baths for skin problems, and this guy knows his stuff. Maybe that could help?

That's what I'm doing, in conjunction with salt baths, for my axolotl that had red spots on it, then white fungus on it's gills. the fungus seemed to have cleared up, but the cycle was messed up with the tank, probably due to local water conditions.Cleaned the tank, and refilled it with Spring Water. Gonna throw my honey and some API quick start in there and see what happens. Should end well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back