Juvenile axolotl won't eat?!

Xxsadi

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I am a new axolotl owner. I just received him about three days ago. He's a juvenile leucistic and he's pretty tiny, probably about two inches. The first day we got him I fed him frozen bloodworms and he ate pretty much immediately, but the past two days he hasn't eaten anything and I don't know what to do. I've tried moving the worms in front of him with tweezers and the turkey baster but he swims away from them, and he ignores them completely if I put them in the dish. He also swims up to the top alot and seems to take in air, my boyfriend thought maybe there wasn't enough oxygen in the water, so we tilted the filter spray bar in a way that it was blowing bubbles against the side of the tank but he is still doing it. I tested the water yesterday for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and everything is 0 or right around it. I also have two mystery snails and two ghost shrimp in the tank, but I don't think they seem to be upsetting him? He likes to sit on the snails. Please any suggestions on what I should do or what you think I'm doing wrong would be appreciated, I'm very worried. :(

Is there anything in the tank such as gravel or small snails that he could have ingested? Something could have caused a blockage.
Or he could just not be terribly hungry.
What was he eating at the breeder's place?
See if you can get some live black worms somewhere locally.... babies love those and rarely refuse them. If you can't get them locally, contact Craig at Eastern Aquatics. Good luck :)

Thank you for your reply! We have sand in the tank no gravel, and we only have the two snails in the tank and they are both bigger than he is so I don't think he should have a blockage. I'm not positive what the breeder was feeding him but I contacted her about what's been going on and she suggested getting live earthworms and chopping them up into little pieces, so tommorow I'll be going to the pet shops to look for that and I'll also try to find black worms as well. Hopefully he just isn't hungry or doesn't like the bloodworms. I don't know much about how long they can go without eating so I am panicking a bit. Plus he is so cute and I want him to be okay. Thank you again!

Yeah, go for the blackworms.. Babies love them. Also, he might not be used to being fed every day so he might actually just not be hungry. But the live blackworms should do the trick

Well I found a place about an hour away that sells live blackworms. Since then the two times I've tried to feed him them he has eaten a few small worms. They don't seem to interest him too much tho. Maybe you're right and he just isn't very hungry yet. Thanks for the advice! Hopefully I can get him eating more so he grows up nice and fat. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back