Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Lost part of a gill

Rumoi

Reaction score
Hello and HELP!
I have 3 young axolotls which are all around 6-7 inches. I've been trying to get pellets or something else to add to their diet but so far no luck :( so since I only have bloodworms, I've been feeding them once or twice daily. Which they happily consume.

One (a chubby female) wasn't being as active or social as normal so I decided not to feed them this morning before work today and see how they were when I came home.
I came home to find my male missing half of his lowest gill (on the right side!) His other 5 are all perfectly normal though, so I think one of the other 2 might have bit it off :eek:

Will his gill grow back?? Is there anything I should do to help him?
I hope someone has some advice since I don't know what to do!!

Charlotl

Reaction score
There is nothing you can do but wait for it to regrow and keep them fed so it doesn't happen again. There are many cases of gills growing back but it may look different than it did originally.

Have you tried feeding earthworms? Get large night crawlers and cut them into smaller sections if you think they are too big. I bet they would chomp them up pretty quickly. Have you tried mixing some pellets in with the blood worms when feeding? Maybe they will get a taste for them if they accidentally suck up a few first.

Rumoi

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply! I've heard from a few people that they may or may not grow back... I hope they will grow; even if it looks a bit different. As long as he is okay and healthy.

I'm feeding them everyday again (that was the first day without feeding... and it wasn't even all day just the morning -_-; )
Earthworms were my first consideration but someone I know lost their axolotl that way. The worms either weren't cleaned/soaked enough or the axie ate too much. I'm not too sure, so I've been apprehensive about those. :/

My lotls haven't rejected the pellets. I've just been unable to purchase any; been trying to find someone to buy pellets from. I sent messages to the site I was recommended to ( A Lot'l Axolotls) I haven't heard back though.
I think they will be fine with pellets since they try nibble on my finger or the turkey baster.

Charlotl

Reaction score
Interesting. I have never heard of an axolotl dying from eating earthworms before. The only things I have heard to watch out for are toxins from the soil (which shouldn't be in farmed worms from stores) and feeding a worm too big for the axolotl without cutting it up.You probably already know this from being on this forum but blood worms are not nutritious enough to be the main food source if it can be helped.

I completely mis-read the part about pellets. Have you tried ordering from amazon? I also think these guys - Sinking Feeder Pellets (Axolotl Food) 1lb. bag #ax1 might ship to Canada but I'm not sure.

Rumoi

Reaction score
Yeah, I've heard that about the earthworms. I think their axolotl ate too much.

I've considered getting earthworms and soaking/cutting up small and giving my Lotls just a small piece each for a change since I've been worried about the blood worms not being enough,
That's when I discovered the existence of axolotl pellets. I've heard good things about flymeat's pellets, but their site says they don't ship to Canada anymore.
If the other group doesn't get back to me about purchasing some I will will have to see what places I can order from. My choices appear to be sadly limited. Rena's Fish Store might work though. unfortunately I haven't heard if they are good or not from anyone. From what I can tell they seem alright
Axolotl Pellets 1LB - Rena's Fish Store

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1