Fridged axolotls shedding gills

aquaria

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I don't post here often but I'm really concerned about our axolotls. We recently moved, and due to a cycle crash and that chaos, our axolotls have been fridged for the last five days. Though they get daily water changes with water of the same temperature (42) and two of the three eat regularly, all three are loosing their gills at an alarming rate. The two males are down to maybe a third of their original length; the female has a quarter, optimistically.

These were healthy animals before we moved, even thriving. Could the new water be causing this? We now live in a historic building, would old pipes let loose more metals? Our liquid test kit reads normally--no elevated nitrates or nitrites, minimal ammonia immediately before water changes. Do we need to find an RO water source? And how do we help our short-gilled lotls recover?

Last edited:
I should have included in the original:

There are three axolotls: two males, one female. Of them, one male and one female are immature, about 7". The third is full grown and around 10". All three are very thin: the the two immature lotls were a little thin to start with--though they were fed earthworms 2-3 times a week (before the move) they've been growing quickly and have been slim. The adult was healthy size before the move, and ate a full worm 2-3 times a week. Two are pale (the third is melanistic and it's hard to tell), but none show any kind of blood infection redness or other unusual coloration.

Since we finally got the tanks set up and the water (just barely) cool enough, we've decided to acclimate them back into the big tank tonight. Hopefully it was just an ammonia issue that even daily changes couldn't keep up with. I would love to hear any advice.

Why do you have your axies in the fridge? Fridging them slows everything down, including their metabolism, immune system and appetite.

You need to take them out and let them warm up, chances are they are losing their gills and refusing to eat due to cold. They should recover at a warmer temp.

Please don't fridge your axie unless they are severely constipated or at death's door - it really isn't good for them. You can keep them in tubs at room temp if you have problem with your tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back