Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Quirks and Fun

SweeTeaGurl

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm a novice axie owner, and I'm happy to say everything has gone swimmingly! \( ^ ^ )/
I was just wondering what unique quirks others' axolotls have.
Mine greets me, and only me, when I enter the room by standing on her back legs and trying to climb the glass. She also enjoys watching my buddys laptop when he sets up near her tank. As soon as the screen is blank she moves on lol. The two little ones have just started to acknowledge me as the worm bringer.
I apologize for the sideways (and for the few that are blurry) pictures

Attachments

• 20150926_190915.jpg
    20150926_190915.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 213
  • 20150915_225324.jpg
    20150915_225324.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 184
  • 20150914_090712.jpg
    20150914_090712.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 176
  • 20150930_230142.jpg
    20150930_230142.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 183
  • 20150930_225903.jpg
    20150930_225903.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 199
  • 20150930_225841.jpg
    20150930_225841.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 173

MommaBear

Reaction score
Aw! That's so cute, my luecustic does that too.

I think the quirkiest thing I've could my babies doing was when they tried to eat the tank thermometer. I'm going to have to get an out of tank thermometer if they don't cut it out soon!

SweeTeaGurl

Reaction score
Cute. Hestia (my lucy/oldest/pictured) did that once. I'm guessing she thought it was the turkey baster I use to distribute the blackworms lol. I've caught her eyeballing it before.
How many do you have?

headFeed

Reaction score
Mine likes to stare at anything that's moving in the room. He likes watching my cats play, it's creepy but also cute in his own axolotl way.

cabbysarus

Reaction score
My little one (I say little one... he's a year old lol) has started walking around his tank on his back legs. :) its so darn cute

LitolAxolotl

Reaction score
Xol swims to the top of the tank, swallows air, floats for a while, then burps up the air and does it all over again. Also every night he goes to the same corner of the tank and stares out, lifting his right foot off the ground. He stands totally still like that for 5-20 minutes at a time.

holdonbaby

Reaction score
Mine (Trent) does something similar as well. He seems to enjoy balancing on 3-1 feet, especially while gazing out of the corner of his tank. Adorable, but very strange.

axolotlprincess

Reaction score
When my wildtype girl Koji was a juvenile, she would swim onto a big piece of driftwood I have in their tank and position herself into front of the small filter I had at the time and then let herself be pushed along by the current :lol: She would do this over and over until she got bored and moved on to do something else haha. She doesn't do it anymore as I have a bigger filter kept under the tank and plush she's too big to be moved by it anymore LOL.
She also used to follow my finger if I dragged it slowly along the tank wall on the outside and then bump her nose on the glass when I stopped :p

Two of my males, Kowhai and Shio, also are practically inseparably, they swim together, they relax and hide in the same places and just generally stick together - not sure if it counts as a quirk or not but I still find it pretty cute all the same, especially since Shio was a rescue from a tank of older axolotls that bullied him a bit.

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Mine move their heads when I wiggle my finger near them. I also have a Wildtype who goes for his food three times, and three times only, then swims for his life away from the baster.

My four adults also form 'stacks' when they are in the same area of their tank. Embry likes to lie perpendicular to the axxie beneath her, so they essentially look like a lopsided pair of scissors!

PS My youngest walks on his hind legs as well. Mine also wrap their tail around my fingers if I have to move them in the tank (for example, while cleaning). I've also noticed then 'watching' the TV before, although whether this is just them 'sight seeing' as they do, I don't know. My Dad took care of them for a few days while I was in Paris and when I got back, he showed me a documentary about axolotls. I asked him why, since I'd had them for about a year and he'd shown very little interest. His answer was; 'it's that Gold one....she watches me. She knows who I am! She's smart!' I didn't want to disappoint him by telling him that was Gally, who has a tendency to fall asleep while staring straight out of the glass.

JordynG45

Reaction score
My axie Willow loves to make breakfast and dinner so difficult for me because h/she (To young to find out gender) starts to float as soon as they see the turkey Bastet and tries to eat while floating. Makes a huge mess every time! But it's so cute lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1