Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White Gills :(

KombatVirus

Reaction score
Hey everyone

It is a sad day indeed for me :( One of my two axolotls, Ozymandias seems to be turning completely white.

His gills are completely white, like paper white. They are still very fluffy and white. I noticed he would get like this after period of inactivity, but when he moved around or ate or otherwise they would quickly poof up and become blood red.

I have tried feeding him. He happily munches down worms and pellets like its nothing. I see him moving his gills as usual to get oxygen sometimes. However I have been monitoring him all day, and his gills are still whispy white and I am completely freaked out. Other than that, no unusual behavior. Water parameters are all in check, no ammonia, nitrate is at 20. Did a water change today just in case as well

My other axolotl in the tank is looking fine, no gill problems there

Does anyone have any ideas? I am really worried about him! He also looks a bit bloated and pale in general, but this might be just me freaking out

Skudo09

Reaction score
It is normal for axolotls to become more pale after periods of inactivity and more colour when active. However, if this is more than normal, it may be an indication of anaemia. Could you post some photos (some from above and from the side)? What water source do you use for their tank?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!