Photo: More newts!

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Xavier
So happy! Traded my pair of Five-lined skinks for some Taricha granulosa! Got them in today, and are fine after a shipping delay. Pictures will come shortly!

Yay taricha! :grin:

This is a few days late but I'm just now seeing this post.. Where did you get them from? They are adorable.

I'm sorry to say it, but they really don't look good. Maybe I'm wrong, but they look very skinny. I'd be watching them closely to make sure they gain weight.

I'm sorry to say it, but they really don't look good. Maybe I'm wrong, but they look very skinny. I'd be watching them closely to make sure they gain weight.

I am, female is eating every now and again, male is aggressive when it comes to food, eats like a pig. Female and male look very healthy in real life though. Going to get more pics later, they fattened up slightly more in real life. Male is black, and female is brown

They are skinny. Do you think they might prefer a more aquatic environment? My t grans are almost completely aquatic.

They could, but the female doesn't like eating in water. she prefers terrestrial insects, such as tweezers fed crickets, and chopped night-crawlers

Personally i suggest they stay terrestrial until they fatten up, as it is easier to monitor them and ensure they have ideal conditions.

Okay, I'm going to get wax-worms today when I go to the pet-store to get the crickets. Any tips on enticing the picky one to eat? The male will probably just eat them in front of her...

Drop a worm in front of the male and once he starts eating it, drop one in front of the female. Don't move it or anything, just drop it there and let it move on its own.
You want to feed the male first because once he has already started feeding on one worm he will not pay attention to any others, he will simply be trying to swallow the worm he already has.
Adding woodlice to the setup would be great as well.

Hey, wanted to update, the newts ate some worms today!!! Didn't see them do it, because I was letting them settle with a method like this one: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...a/48995-four-chinese-rough-skinned-newts.html I used Canadian night-crawlers, and chopped them up into about 8-10 pieces. Left them for about 15-30 minuets alone with them, and when I came back, there were 5-6 pieces left. Female was chubbier and heavier, and male was slightly heavier. So happy right now!!!:D:D:D

That's great news, Xavier.
You saying you chopped them into 8-10 pieces made me think of something that i have read and experienced, T. granulosa prefers smaller food items then you would think. Chopping the worms into small pieces will probably get a better feeding response than larger pieces.

I know, I read that today. Going to make them smaller next time

That's a pair.
Is there something on the female's cloaca, or is that just coloration?

Coloration. She has random brown bits right behind her arm, on her cloaca, and I thought I saw one on her tail, but that could have been a reflection.

Cool. I have only ever found one like that before in the wild. They are looking a lot better, by the way.

sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture35208-female-taricha-granulosa-she-has-unusual-brown-patches-her.jpg

Taricha are such cute little fatties ... :lol:

Cool. I have only ever found one like that before in the wild. They are looking a lot better, by the way.

sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture35208-female-taricha-granulosa-she-has-unusual-brown-patches-her.jpg

Yeah, it's exactly like that at first I thought it as a wound, but it doesn't seem to bother her in any way

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back