Illness/Sickness: What is wrong with my newt?

CadenDC

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok so I just got three fire belly newts about three weeks ago. Five days a ago I noticed one of them had a little red spot on his head. I though he must have scraped his head on something and have heard how amazing newts and salamanders are at healing and regenerating so I left him be. Now recently I noticed tha this scrape covers a good portion of his face. I couldn't find any help on the internet about it, but I did hear about some sort of separation from his normal terrarium into a more terrestrial environment where he could more quickly heal and prevent infection and spreading to other tank mates. So I stopped at a pet store and grabbed one of those cheap optic hermit **** containers and gave him one dry area and their other areas covered in wet paper towels as the Website I looked up said to. I will try to post pictures of what the injury looks like and it would be very helpful if anyone with experience with whatever is wrong with this little guys head and any way to help him. I just don't want to kill him because these newts are my first and hopefully I can have them much longer.

Any pictures? Could be multiple things from what you're describing. Also, most pet-store newts are sick and unhealthy from being exported from China. Probably parasite infested. So we need pics, ammonia and PH levels, and water tempuature

Sorry new to this forum

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 149
Okay, I would use Neosporin without pain-killer and apply to the wound. Someone else's newt went thorough this, I'll link the thread to you

Thanks you so much! Where do I get this medication? Do use the stuff for humans? Or is there a special amphibian brand?

I hope the Neosporin treatment works.

If not please take the newt to a herp vet as I had to. The vet explained that some bacteria are 'gram negative' and the neosporin can't address that, in the end it was the vet's prescription of a weak solution of iodine as well as baytril that did the trick and the newt then healed very quickly.

Wishing your newt a speedy recovery!

Also read the articles on illness here. Scroll down to the "Health and Illness" section for the article on "Sores and Wounds."

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back