Tips of toes changing to opposing colors

valkyriemome

Reaction score
Country
United States
I read somewhere, probably on here months and months ago, that as an Axolotl reaches maturity, the tips of the toes change color. On pink axis, toes turn black, on dark, they turn white. I don't remember the specifics of what I read. Does the change indicate sexual maturity?

I've noticed that the toes of my freckled leucistics are turning darker, and on my wild-types, their toes are turning white. What is this indicative of? I which I could remember what I read!

Yes you are right. On my leucistic the toes turned grey and on the darker colours they become paler when they were sexually mature.

Actually, it is a bit of an old wives tale that the darker toe tips (or light colour on dark coloured axolotls) indicates sexual maturity. My golden albino got dark toe tips at about four-five inches long. He is now double that and only recently been able to confirm that he is a male. He was definitely not sexually mature at the time the dark toe tips appeared. This has been the same for my other axolotls. I am not sure that the toe tips indicate anything in particular, more is just something that happens normally as they grow.

Fantastic! Thanks. That's actually great news. Their toes just started turning, but I don't expect them to be mature for a long while yet!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back