Sick Paddletail Newt,Pachytriton labiatus lying on its side

saumyarc

Reaction score
Country
India
Hello I have a Chinese Paddletail Newt, Pachytriton labiatus. It has been with me for more than 2 years. Now it is lying on its side or back most of the time and not eating for almost 5 days. I changed water, and kept the level low so that it can reach surface just by moving the head. Today I found it releasing some froth from its mouth. What is to be done ?

Hi, welcome to the site. :) I moved your thread to the help section so any replies will be visible straight away rather than having to wait for approval.
Regarding the newt it could be any number of things I'm afraid. The more info you can give, the better our chances of finding the problem. Some pics of him and his tank might also be helpful.
We could really do with knowing;

* Water quality, at least ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
*. Water temperature.
*. What are you feeding him?
* Does he have any tank mates?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back