Question: My set up

Opal2548

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Opal
I have many caves and hiding places for a 3ft tank housing 4 rapidly growing well fed axies... is it important to have open ground/walking space as well as hides? Currently all axies seem to sleep and huddle together at times so im wondering if I have gone over board with obstacles..? Theres is also a large artificial rock siloconed into corner which also takes up space..

Seems like you have sufficient space from the pictures on your profile.

Only issue I can see is that your using small stones as a substrate in your tank, Axolotls have the potential to eat anything they can fit into their mouths so to have such small stones your Axoltols could end up sucking in stones while feeding, causing impaction.

Take a look at this website: Caudata Culture Articles - Aquarium Substrates

My friend used small gravel one, I helped remove it all 3 months ago and the Axoltols are still passing gravel every now and then. Not good!

Thanks for your reply Chris... been reading and recieving a lot of contadictory advice at times which can be confusing... In regards to the stones I did have larger stones which I replaced as I was told this can be bad if stuck in axie..I was also told that they will deliberately ingest smaller stones from time to time to assist with there bouyancy and expel or pass as needed..I have obsevered them spitting the smaller stones...also I changed to feeding turtle food which they seem to love and are very active over these last few days as the weather warms up although i have been using ice bottles to try avoid over heating of tank... Cheers ☺

Where have you been reading that using small gravel/stones is okay?

Stones larger than the Axolotls head are fine e.g river rocks. Stones that are smaller than the Axolotls head such a small gravel/stones can potentially be ingested and then stuck inside the Axolotl causing impaction and possibly death.

If I were you I would stick with this forum as your main source of information for your Axoltol. I've never read anything on this site or affiliated sites which suggest gravel is a safe option.

Read the link I posted above for more information: Caudata Culture Articles - Aquarium Substrates

This is an example of what can happen: http://www.caudata.org/forum/attachments/f46-beginner-newt-salamander-axolotl-help-topics/f48-axolotls-ambystoma-mexicanum/f58-sick-axolotl/35104d1391052785-axolotl-x-ray-rads.jpg

What turtle food are you feeding?

Using bottles of frozen water works, also try pointing a fan down on the top of the water which can reduce the temperature.

Ive had multiple pet store and aquarium people tellmme about the smaller gravel and the axies tenndancy to sometimes deliberately ingest to aid bouyancy..? I dunno but I have seen them seemingly inhale a bit and spit a few out...inbetween going to suface and breathing gulp of air.... cant remember the turtle food brand but i cut it frozen into little squares and they seem to love it..go nuts once the smell is in water...its full of krill n variius other ingredients....

Pet stores and other aquatic stores don't tend to know much beneficial information about the care of Axolotls. I've not heard any good stories about the advice they give so always take what you hear with a pinch of salt and then research the answers to make sure your being given the correct information.

Axolotls are native to Lake Xochimilco, and Lake Chalco in Mexico (Lake Chalco no longer exists) which are not gravel/stone bottomed lakes, so purely gravel based substrates are not part of their natural environment. Introducing purely gravel substrates seems to have come from people using the same substrate that would generally be used in any normal fish tank. I've never heard of Axolotls using gravel to aid their buoyancy and never read that on this forum. When you see them spitting some out its more than likely because its not food.
Caudata Culture Articles - Aquarium Substrates

Axolotls - Housing in Captivity:
'Substrates
Axolotls have a nasty habit of getting normal aquarium gravel in their mouths, and occasionally swallowing it. This can be fatal because the gravel can cause blockages in the gut. It's rare, but not rare enough to be worth risking. In short, if you use normal aquarium gravel you risk killing your axolotl.

Gravel-swallowing can be avoided by using gravel that is very large (larger than the animal's head). If you use an external filter like me, stones tend to let debris accumulate in the tank, and so the filter has a hard time keeping the the bottom clear of solids. Since axolotls are messy, the filter may difficulty dealing with the excrement and waste food that accumulate in gravel. If you do use gravel, it's advisable to siphon the waste out of it - a "gravel cleaner" is ideal for this purpose.

As another alternative, fine sand is also a good substrate, as it will not clog the digestive tract if ingested.
'

Hopefully the pellets your using are okay, but I can't vouch for them without knowing the brand to check their nutritional content and other ingredients. You should have a fairly varied diet for Axolotl, preferably live food.
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/worms.shtml
Caudata Culture Articles - Nutritional Values

Last edited:
Thanks again for the advice...yeah with the food they really seem to love the turtle food blocks...but was previously feeding live crickets..might try alternating between the two..

You should post the brand of turtle food so we can make sure it's nutritional values are good for an Axolotl and that any other ingredients are safe. Crickets are good but they aren't nutritionally complete. Worms are one of the best foods: Caudata Culture Articles - Worms

Ok...will do on this thread soon...have to sleep now...worked all night...?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back