Axie has BIG throat... what's happening :/

Tiffi

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hi there!
First of all I would like to introduce my axolotl "Tifi". He's with us from 1 year and 2 months. When I bought him he has 10cm in length and now he has about 14cm. Im feeding him with live bloodworms, whiteworms or something like that and as a reward frozen beef heart. I know that his throat goes big when he was eating but from 3 weeks he has this for whole day :/. Last week I've changed water and after that his throat goes normal for a day. Yesterday when I changed water and gave him a beef heart of course he went "berserk" for that but I saw that when he was floating in the water it looks like he is heavy and fell down from side to side. He's eating normally, pooping, water temperature always between 17-19 C .

Please help I dont want him to live in pain :(

ps: On first picture is Tifi from 2 months ago

Attachments

• tifi1.jpg
    tifi1.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 372
  • tifi2.jpg
    tifi2.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 307
  • tifi3.jpg
    tifi3.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 411
Beef heart is not a natural food for axolotls and they may find it difficult to digest. I don't know that this food substance is the cause, it may be unrelated, but I would avoid feeding mammalian meat. You will need something more than bloodworm as your axolotl grows and he/she appears big enough to transition to earthworms which are a far more nutritious item and very suitable for a staple diet. You could still vary the diet up to with bloodworm, pellets and maybe the occasional wax worm. Maybe trial not giving the beef heart and see if that makes any difference?

Do you by chance have snails in your tanks? It kinda looks like he ate a pebble or a snail. Just a thought.

How long have you been feeding the beef heart?

I actually started feeding beef heart a couple weeks ago to vary up the diet some more and then today I found one of my axies with a big throat like that and dead this morning. The last thing he ate was beef heart.

If you haven't been offering it that long, maybe there's a correlation?

The only piece of advice ive heard about when dealing with floating, things being stuck in the body, etc. is putting the axolotl in the fridge.

I'm no axie expert, though, and I'd hate anything bad to happen to the lil guy. But, I think after what happened to my axolotl and your issues here, I'll no longer be feeding beef heart.

Sorry for long answer but my axolotl still have this big thing under mouth. I have cleaned all sand from aquarium, reearange decorations, recycle all water with fresh dechlorinated, recycle all filters. I'll upload some photos later. Now water temperature is between 18-20 C* due to removal one of my cooler fan.

I think I stop giving him these frozen beef hearts then. Pet shop owner said me about feeding him with beef hearts and ocasionally small fish. I have a question with earthworms... u mean these worm for fishing?

No, I dont have snails or anything like that. His mouth is closed but his throat is big. I can look inside his mouth through these holes or something like that under gills and I don't see anything there. It seems like he can't turn to normal state ;/

I've started to feed him beef heart about 5 month ago. I gave him half portion, one or twice a week but I still fed him with bloodworms/whiteworms. Sad to hear that :( I think we all should say NO to beef hearts. I don't know what to do now... I think about putting him in the fridge but I'm also scared with doing that.

Sorry for long answer but my axolotl still have this big thing under mouth. I have cleaned all sand from aquarium, reearange decorations, recycle all water with fresh dechlorinated, recycle all filters. I'll upload some photos later. Now water temperature is between 18-20 C* due to removal one of my cooler fan.

I think I stop giving him these frozen beef hearts then. Pet shop owner said me about feeding him with beef hearts and ocasionally small fish. I have a question with earthworms... u mean these worm for fishing?

No, I dont have snails or anything like that. His mouth is closed but his throat is big. I can look inside his mouth through these holes or something like that under gills and I don't see anything there. It seems like he can't turn to normal state ;/

I've started to feed him beef heart about 5 month ago. I gave him half portion, one or twice a week but I still fed him with bloodworms/whiteworms. Sad to hear that :( I think we all should say NO to beef hearts. I don't know what to do now... I think about putting him in the fridge but I'm also scared with doing that.

probably its not only the food
you must read this now

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...elp/104254-bloat-mouth-throat.html#post454362

Caudata Culture Articles - Illness Part 1

Caudata Culture Articles - Illness Part 3

I would take him to the vet if you have one available. I don't know that the beef heart necessarily was related. I have not seen this before but as Daimler has pointed out it could be a serious infection.

How did you clean everything out of the tank? Did you rinse the filter media in dechlorinated water or replace it? If you used straight tap water or replaced the whole filter media at once you may have crashed the cycle. Have you got a water testing kit?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back