Hang on filters

oberynstiles

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone. I don't have an axolotl yet, I don't even have a tank yet because I'm still saving up for everything, but I wanted to know what's the best hang on filter to use for a 55 gallon tank. I would like to use a canister filter but the tank will be in my room with two ferrets, who are notorious for getting into stuff. Also I'm in college and canister filters are a bit pricey... So a canister filter just isn't convenient for me. I believe a hang on filter will do fine but I will need to make sure there's no current in the tank so my axolotl(s) aren't stressed out. I was thinking I could just put a sponge or something in front of the filter to disperse the water flow. Does anyone know of a filter that's relatively cheap and has a setting for flow on it? The filter I am looking at is Aqueon Quiet Flow, however I'm not sure if there is a better option. Let me know what you guys think please.

Thanks for reading.

I can't tell you really what kind of filter you should get. I used to have ferrets though. Four of them. I don't think I would have felt comfortable to have an aquarium with them at the same time. just knowing what kind of rascals mine were, always up to no good. And it seemed like they would always want to get into the things they weren't supposed to get into. What kind of stand will your tank be on? Is there going to be any way the ferrets will be able to climb up or jump onto it?

Stand will be tall and flat so the ferrets cannot climb it or get into it. The tank will also have a cover so there is no chance of ferrets drowning/axolotl being attacked lol. I just don't want a canister because if Im worried the ferrets might start playing with it and possibly break it lol. I think the filter I'm thinking about getting will work, I just want to know if anyone has a filter they would recommend.

i personally like the fluval aquaclears. just because they dont have set cartridges, and you can choose what you want in your filter. kind of like a canister filter.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back