Snails in net tank

chaimdov

Reaction score
Country
United States
My 10 year old son, raises about a dozen species of newts. He was wondering if anyone has had problems with snails eating the newt eggs? Specifically in the case of firebelly newts and warty newts (HK).

There are three types of snail in my adult C. pyrrhogaster tank and I've never seen them eat eggs. I've also raised C. pyrrhogaster T. verrucosus, L. vulgaris, T. cristatus and I. alpestris from eggs in tanks with the snails and have had no problems at all.
Are there any shrimp in the tanks? My friend has Cherry shrimp in with his T. verrucosus and has seen them regularly eating the Tylo eggs.

I know I'm new to breeding. Especially since the eggs I have were a total accident. But I left some of the eggs in my tank with the mom and the snails just to find out what the snails would do. I left eggs on plants the filter inlet and airline tubing and driftwood. It's Only been 2 days day, but all are all still accounted for. The ramshorn snails seem to Cruze right past the eggs.... so far... I watched one heading right for an egg. I figured it was going to be caviar lunch.. It looked like it tried to go over the cluster and then just went on to my sword plant...
But... I've watched my giant trap door snails devour an entire cluster of ramshorn eggs. So Im curious to see what happens....

FYI, giant trap door snails eat Axolotl eggs. This morning I watched the ones on the airline tubing and filter inlet get eaten. It doesn't take long either...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back