Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A few questions

Day

Reaction score
I have 2 axolotls. They're both in separate tanks and have been separated since August. One of the axolotls is bigger than the other. First one is 5 inches and the second one is 4 inches. Would it be ok if I put both of them in the same tank now?

Also where or what website can I get Earthworms from? They don't sell them at my local pet store here.

BabySinclair

Reaction score
You should be able to buy earthworms on eBay or Amazon. Organic ones at that :)
And yes, 4 and 5 inches together should be fine. All of mine vary by an inch or so and I haven't had any ill affects :) but everyone is very well fed :)
Just be warned, if you end up with a boy and a girl.... You could end up with anywhere from 30 to 1,000 eggs!!! Mine just laid a first time clutch of over 350 eggs!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Reaction score
You can also get earth worms at fishing bait shops!

I'd say it's safe to put them together. But if they're opposite genders and the female isn't fully matured she will waste energy laying eggs; this can stunt her growth and reduce her immune system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Some Axolotl have a tendency to snap at anything that moves more than others, and as BabySinclair said you need to keep them well fed. My girlfriends Axolotls have been in the same tank since they were hatched so I think they know who's around them.

You could start culturing your own worms, then you'll never run out! check out this thread: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-advanced-newt-salamander-topics/f11-food-live-frozen-freeze-dried-pellets-etc/f17-earthworms-nightcrawlers-etc/52600-wormeries.html

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1