Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

10 gallon temperate rainforest

19darlingcalvi

Reaction score
I am setting up a Native Red Backed Salamander vivarium, with 1 male and 3 female red backed salamanders. Info on what there habitat looks like, what would be the optimal temp, what to feed, misting, humidity? What temperature forest terrarium plants would be appropriate? i want it to be a biotope, and have already seen the caudata info sheet.

AdvythAF

Reaction score
For what a set-up looks like, you would have soil(chemical-free) and if you want, a drainage layer at the bottom. Since, red-backs are territorial you would need multiple hides, which can be achieved by placing lots of wood pieces around the tank.

As for plants, ferns would be good aesthetically. Moss can be used, and it adds to the humidity.

Mist the soil so it is evenly moist but don't over mist until it gets soggy. Keep the humidity at 50-60%.

For food you can feed small earthworms, fruit flies, isopods, or slugs. In the wild redbacks eat many different arthropods.

One last thing, remember you don't want to build a rainforest for these salamanders, because they occur in temperate forests. Too much humidity could cause mold and fungal problems in your tank, and would be unnatural to your salamanders.

Good luck on building the temperate vivarium! :D

19darlingcalvi

Reaction score
Here's the plants I want Huperzia lucidula, Asplenium platyneuron, Mitchella repens and Goodyera pubescens

19darlingcalvi

Reaction score
Here's tank

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 246
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!