New axolotl mommy

Kiki

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Everyone!

Brand new member. I recently ordered my first axolotl and the seller is shipping him Monday. I am so anxious!! I did so much research before purchasing him/her. First I set up the tank which is a 15 gallon, I took the hood that came with the tank off and used a mesh lid, it has a cannistor filter, sand subtrate, 2 fake plants and a pot knocked over on its side for hiding. I have been checking the temperature everyday and it stays consistently at 68 degree but I also bought an aquarium fan just in case.

I was so excited after getting everything setup and realizing the temperature was steady I hastily ordered without doing much research on breeders last week so I am a little disappointed in myself for that but I was just so excited

Anyway.... The only thing I'm questioning this weekend before my axolotls arriva on Tuesday is whether or not I have enough in the tank. In your experience do they prefer room to walk around or should I put some more plants for extra hiding etc.?

Thanks everyone!
Kiki :eek:

welcome! you should post pictures when you get your new axolotl. I'd love to see!

also did you order from someone off this site? I'm planning to order one soon as well and i'd like input :}

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back