Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Thinking about switching from sand to tile?

SinfulHighMan

Reaction score
I've been thinking over the past few days. And reading about people using it. Tile. And suggestions about using tile? Any do's and don'ts? I personally like the idea of tile but I would like further advice on this process before I decide to make it permanent.

Renette

Reaction score
I am rather new to axies myself but I have placed two natural stone slate tiles (no treatments or sealers) to give a bit of grip in my bare bottom tank and have used it as a ramp. They seem to be happy and are often found comfortably lazing on it. I checked the safe rock list on this forum and it seems to be okay and boiled it in an oven tray to ensure any 'nasties' were dead. Could someone else confirm that this is correct and okay.

Renette

Reaction score
I am rather new to axies myself but I have placed two natural stone slate tiles (no treatments or sealers) to give a bit of grip in my bare bottom tank and have used it as a ramp. They seem to be happy and are often found comfortably lazing on it. I checked the safe rock list on this forum and it seems to be okay and boiled it in an oven tray to ensure any 'nasties' were dead. Could someone else confirm that this is correct and okay.

EDITED: I forgot that I also rubbed off all sharp edges before boiling to reduce the chance of any injuries.

SinfulHighMan

Reaction score
So apparently people didn't want to answer this question.... Like every other time I ask it places. Thanks everyone for your great help

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Well as Renette said, check out the safe rock list on this forum, boil it to make sure it's clean, rub off sharp edges then place in your tank.

You can search keywords on this forum to find previous threads full of info

Nmshuhart

Reaction score
I wonder if I could use a piece of tile in my tank with sand... just in one of the corners or something... :confused::D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!