Help! Bloated/ fat/ sick?

mldavis4

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,
I have two axies, one melanoid and one leuscistic type. Both are acting like they're not feeling well, but completely different symptoms.

My melanoid (Toothless) doesn't look sick to me, but he's refused to eat for going on two weeks now. I took him to my class aquarium to see if he was isolated there he would be able to eat. My leucistic (Tsunami) is a bit of a bully and has quite the appetite, so I thought she was getting in his way. Toothless still didn't eat during his week at school. His lack of appetite scares me. He looks at his food as if he's interested, but then doesn't even make an effort or a very poor effort at eating.

Tsunami on the other hand, ate a nightcrawler on Tuesday. Then she ate another one on Thursday. Then she ate Toothless's nightcrawler when I brought him home on Friday! Now she looks bloated but still wants to eat. I don't want to feed her because she is so fat but I don't know if she's sick, if she has eggs (?) or if she just needs to poop.

Also to know, the week before last weekend I got them a bunch of guppies for a treat. Tsunami ate a bunch but then I took her to school for the week. Toothless didn't eat them and they died. Apparently, while toothless was at school and Tsunami at home, the filter died and I had to completely clean everything out and do a water change.
Because of the water change, I'm sure the parameters are good and the temperature is about 64F. I'm sure the water quality wasn't very good there for a few days when the filter went out, but it should be now.

SO SORRY for how long this is but I wanted to give as many details as possible. What do I need to do to get toothless to eat again and how can I tell what is bothering tsunami? Toothless is the only one "acting" sick IMO because he's not eating and he's hiding. Tsunami has always been pretty social and that hasn't changed. She still seems hungry too! Here are some pics. Please help. I already lost one axie this summer and my kids (preteens) will be broken hearted again if we lose these two.

Attachments

• IMG_8566.jpg
    IMG_8566.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 682
  • IMG_8567.jpg
    IMG_8567.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 356
Update: Put Tsunami in the fridge while waiting a response and lo and behold, just a couple hours later the water is so filthy you can't see through it! I changed out her water and am fridging her for overnight hoping she will poo more. HOPEFULLY that is all that's wrong with her and she will deflate.

As for Toothless, no idea how to get him to eat. Maybe another food choice than guppy or nightcrawler?

Have you tested the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH? Is the filter working again or have you got a new filter?

Tsunami doesn't look sick from the photo. It is possible she is carrying eggs though. I don't think it is necessary to fridge Tsunami. I would just monitor her for now.

Toothless has very short gill stalks. Has this always been like this?

Were the fish quarantined before adding them? Fish can carry all sorts of nasty parasites and illness and don't have great nutritional value. Personally, I would not feed them to axolotls but if you do, they must be quarantined first in case they have any parasites or illness.

You could try other food options. Blackworms might be worth a go.

The leucistic doesnt look bloated she looks she is becoming gravid, she will want to increase her food intake to produce eggs so just give her extra worms
, no need to fridge. If an axolotl goes off its food for more than a week its often environmental, check its basic care is ok, also try offering an alternate food.

Thanks for the replies!
The filter is working again, the water has been changed. All should be good environmentally, water parameters wise. How much more time do you think Toothless needs before he gets his appetite back?

Yes, his gills were that short when we got him. I'm guessing no way to get them to grow longer? He was also missing a gill on the side (2 on one side and 3 on the other) when we got him.

Do axies produce eggs even when unfertilized? I'm not sure how all that works for them, I'm not even sure they are he/she but were just guessing. If she is carrying eggs, is there any special care for her and what do I do when she lays them? YAY!

So if all is well with Tsunami, then I guess I need to focus on getting Toothless to feel better. I'll see if I can get any other photos.

If you have tested the parameters and they are all good that is fine but if you havent tested it would be worth it even if you are confident that the water is ok. There is no way of knowing without testing. Having the filter off may have disrupted the cycle so it is important to monitor closely to make sure.

If unfertilised I believe they normally absorb the eggs rather than lay them. Just feed a few extra worms and monitor her for now.

Ideally you want their belly width to be the same as their head width. Keep an eye on Toothless and whether he is losing condition and getting skinnier. If he does lose weight and no improvement it may be worth seeing a vet if you have one available.

Thanks Skudo,
Good point about checking everything just to be confident that's not the problem. I took your advice, PH7, Ammonia 0ppm,Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate 20ppm. I guess the nitrate is a little high but not enough to be the culprit right? I think it's just because the tank needs to recycle after I changed the water.

Tsunami is still begging for food and gobbling her worms. Toothless still not only refuses to eat but will move to opposite side of aquarium when we try. He won't eat pellets either. Is there anything I can do, or do I need to take him to vet? I lost my first axie due to similar circumstances. He stopped eating because of water too warm, but passed before I got the problem fixed. :(
I really can't lose another.

Any ideas how long I should keep an eye on him before taking him to a vet, or what vet costs? I can't imagine it will be cheap.

Those parameters are all fine (nitrate is best below 40ppm so is well within acceptable limits). It is good as we can definitely rule out problems with these parameters. The temperature from your first post looks ok too. Is Toothless losing body condition? If so, I would consider seeking veterinary advice. I can't tell you what the costs would be so you would need to contact your vet. Keep offering different foods and see if anything takes his interest. Is there anything he could have possibly swallowed accidentally?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back