New axolotl owner

BrendanRhys

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi guys, Just thought id introduce myself.
Im a new axolotl owner and got my first last thursday!
So far ive sexed it as a female, but i understand that it can be hard to tell before sexual maturity? The pet shop didnt give me any information regarding age, so based on her size and lack of colouration on her toes im guessing she would be 5-7 months old? She's about five inches long so if anyone could clarify this for me id really appreciate it!

Welcome! Lots of axolotl lovers here. Personally, I would one day like to take care of a few myself : ) Your at the right place for learning and helpful experienced keepers advice. :D

Welcome to the forum :)

Age can be difficult to tell. But based on the size, it is likely she would be too young to determine gender. You may find in a few months or maybe even longer that she becomes a he. Also, it has become a bit of an old wives tale that darkened (or lightened toes on darker coloured axolotls) toe tips indicate sexual maturity. The darkened toe tips often show up well before axolotls are sexually mature.

There is truckloads of info on this forum and a great community who can offer support and help you with any questions you might have :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back