Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

4 week old Axolotls... need some experienced help!

Nienora

Reaction score
Hello there,

So, my husband and I decided to delve into rearing some axolotls. We've had adults previously, but I wanted to basically... start from scratch when the time was right. So we purchased 24 eggs from a breeder in Cincinnati; wilds and leucistics. In the two days after hatching (with some assistance from us), we lost 3 for unknown reasons. Now we have 21 healthy, 4 week old Axies. 12 leucistics, 7 green speckled wilds, and 2 dark grey with gold. We plan on keeping 6, and have a short list of individuals who want a couple when the time comes. We recently have separated out the wilds as they tend to be more aggressive towards each other during feeding time.

They've been eating frozen blood worms for the past week, after weaning them off of brine shrimp. Yesterday, I decided to supplement some of their meals with live tubifex worms, since they seem to still be in the stage of snapping at moving targets. They were all actively hunting/stalking/eating them last night. Well, today when I went to feed, only a few of the 21 little axies would attempt to hunt down the worms, the rest seemed afraid and would jump away when ever they would get close to them. I tried to feed them some frozen blood worms with my tweezers at that point and they were terrified of them as well. Any suggestions?

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
There's a chance they have attacked each other when feeding so they are more wary of movement. Might be better to separate them further to make feeding easier, also allows each Axolotl to eat the same as the rest. I've raised 9 at once my self and kept 2/3 of them together for awhile but you end up with either missing/damaged limbs or some growing faster than others.

When rearing for the first time it's probably safer to not try to raise 20+ until you've done it a fair few times

Nienora

Reaction score
Thanks for the response.

All the Wilds are completely separate, and they're the ones that seem to be having the most problem. I've decided to let them settle for a couple hours without any food to see if it perks their appetites.

"When rearing for the first time it's probably safer to not try to raise 20+ until you've done it a fair few times"

It's funny you should mention that... we actually only ordered 15 eggs, but they weren't careful on counting and we ended up with 24. But I didn't have the heart to "cull" them. I am just a bit worried about this sudden change re: live tubifex worms. Hoping their appetites will pick up here shortly and their flightiness dissipate.

Nienora

Reaction score
Yes, fully formed and pigmented front limbs. There back ones are growing still, they are still a bit stubby, but they can be seen trying to use them while swimming.

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Well I'd be careful about keep more than 2 together at this stage, you will think everything's going fine then BAM you'll check them one morning and limbs will be missing

SteGriffWales

Reaction score
if one tank mate is much bigger than another remove the smaller its better to raise the smaller till same size than lose both one to being eaten and the other possible choke

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1