Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New user

mattymatt

Reaction score
Hi there folks, I've been advised to introduce myself here so here it is:

I'm a Newfoundlander living in Alberta, ( over half my life now ) and i have two Tiger Salies.

I'll share with you the story of how they came to be.

My contract for a house rental had expired and I had nowhere to live, basically homeless at the time. However I knew someone who's father in-law had a apartment for rent. I had nowhere else to go but this mans house in hopes it was available. No phone number just an address. Total cold approach.

Well, about four houses from where I was going this thing crawled off someone's front lawn almost under foot. Catching it from the corner of my eye I jumped back and stood in wonder thinking WTF is that!?

Looking up at me with his tiny eyes and cute smile; ''should i pick him up or just keep walking''?

Well, in Alberta there are Magpies and Crows and cats in this neighbourhood. He would have been an easy meal for any of these. Just horrified for the little guy because he would be helpless and eaten alive. So I put him in my coat pocket and thought we'll be homeless together.

So as i'm trying to secure a place to live "Izzy" is climbing out of my pocket
constantly and i'm trying to hide him because i'm not sure if the man would freak and say " No! now get the creature out of my house! " I've never meet this guy in my life. I don't know what he's like. Funny now but I was worried at the time.

My soon to be landlord found out about Izzy later that night when pulling meat from the freezer in the basement. He said the same thing I did ''WTF is that!?'' haha.

It all worked out I got the place and we both had a home; that was 11 years ago!

Sadly, we came from the vet today and it looks like he's not long for this world. It's the first issue he's had and recovery is bleak. The other salamander is fine his name is Sol. So i'll have to get him a new friend. *sniffles*

Anyways, I'm looking forward to talking with you people who understand these creatures for what they are. I'm open to your stories experiences and advice please don't hesitate.

I attached a photo of Izzy if anyone's curious what he looks like.

Bye.

Attachments

• Izzy.jpg
    Izzy.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 108

CatSpit

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forums.

Sounds like Izzy has done very well with you over the years, I'm sad to hear he's not doing well now. Did the vet identify what the concern(s) are?

What a cute picture, Izzy is quite photogenic!

These forums are full of information, and the people are great at helping out with any questions. I'm sure you'll benefit from joining and sharing your story and your critters with us. :)

CatSpit

Reaction score
I took the liberty of lightening up Izzy's pic - hope that's ok, just wanted to see him better :happy:

Izzy.JPG

Tiger mom Tammy

Reaction score
Welcome! Like yourself, I had tiger salamanders walk into my life not knowing what they even were! This site and community have been their lifeline during the past 8 months. Im sorry to hear about Izzy, I'm sure the past 11 years have been great because of you. Love the picture! Glad to have the 3 of you here : )

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1