Suggestions for different species

23matt3

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey I have a question I have a fire belly newt tank with about 5 newts and was wondering about compatability wth them. I was wondering if I can put anything with them? Like shrimp, snail or anything? I was looking for some type of algae eater or something to that extent. Was looking into red cherry shrimp but I didn't know so any input is greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I keep a few ghost shrimp with my firebellies. The small ones always end up eaten, but I have a few very large shrimp that don't bother the newts at all. Snails... well, if you want them. I perpetually am removing them from my tanks, they just show up with all the live plants I get.

Remember, even tho these creatures will eat a bit of algae, they are also contributing to your tank's biowaste as well. Everyone's gotta poop. :eek:

I have shrimp and snails in all my newt tanks, Japonica shrimp are my favourite, they will eat allsorts, including thread algae and soon get big enough to avoid becoming lunch for the newts. The down side of Japonica shrimp is that they are almost always wild caught, this is because they need salt water for the young to complete their life cycle, obviously not an option for newt tanks. Cherry shrimp will successfully breed in fresh water as they don't have a marine nymph stage like the Japonica, but they won't eat thread algae and they will eat newt eggs if they find them.
I like to have Greater pond snails for tidying up uneaten food and as I have sand in most of my tanks I have Malayan trumpet snails to dig through it stopping anything from stagnating.
As far as algae eaters go, most of them are either aggressive enough to rasp on and damage the newts skin like Chinese algae eaters, or are part of the "Pleco" family that are built like pine cones and grow huge over their twenty odd year lifespan.

I know someone who is selling 12 cherry shrimp and Java moss for $10. I was just worried that the newts would eat that. Just trying to add more diversity in the tank. I have little Snails in there at the moment but they keep eating my plants. My tank is heavily planted and wanted something that wouldn't eat everything as well

I keep ramshorn snails in all my tanks they keep everything pretty clean just have to be careful to not overfeed cause if there's lots for them to eat they will reproduce in very large numbers but I've never had a problem with them and I've tried cherry shrimp but the newts ate them

Remember, even tho these creatures will eat a bit of algae, they are also contributing to your tank's biowaste as well. Everyone's gotta poop. :eek:

And the pleco more than 10 snails.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back