Are these dead salamander eggs or something else?

Spazmatism

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have no experience with salamanders, but I thought it would be interesting to examine an egg mass that I found on top of a very moist wood pile covered with a tarp. It's just about mid-autumn here on the east coast US, so I'd think that any eggs that had been laid should have hatched by now, but I'm not sure. I didn't want to take eggs that were going to hatch.
7HaoioB.jpg

On closer inspection, it looks like there are nematodes living in/eating the eggs. I looked in a microscope and I saw some protozoans moving around too.. Some of the eggs appear to be completely white inside, while others are clear but have no visible nucleus. I'm wondering if they could be slug eggs?
[this is a single egg:]
Ny1fQIA.jpg

a1mC3cp.jpg

Are they salamander eggs? I wouldn't think that they are frog/toad eggs because all frog tadpoles need water. If they are salamander eggs, then they are dead, right? Why might they have not hatched after they where laid?

They look like eggs to me, eggs that didn't develop. So they are probably being eaten by whatever, like those worms.

If you gently misted them with water can some eggs be saved?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back