Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Larvae doesn't seem to be growing..

orbis

Reaction score
So I have 20 larvae and they're about 3 - 4 weeks old. Most of them hatched within a couple days of each other but there are four that hatched about about a week later than the others and so are quite a bit smaller.

One of the oldest ones seems to be having some developmental problems. He was one of the first to hatch so I know he's one of the oldest but he is actually smaller now than the ones who hatched much later than him, in fact he's the smallest of the 20. He eats and responds to movement and seems to be doing alright day to day other than the fact that he just doesn't seem to be growing at all.

When he hatched he looked a little deformed, slightly bent if that makes sense. He's not bent anymore just small. His gills also look like they're not nearly as developed as the gills of all of the others, stubbier in a way.

I guess I'm just wondering if I should wait to see if he starts to grow a bit more or if he's a lost cause and I should start thinking about potentially putting him down I guess... I'm also not sure what's the best way to go about that if it comes to it.

charleybambino

Reaction score
Id just keep treating him as you are...if there are real issues nature will intervene anyway. Perhaps he is a dwarf?

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
What Charley said ^

I've had it my self when one or two look slightly bent in the tail but they have turned out okay.

Do you keep all of them together or in groups? Separating into smaller groups increases the chance of even feeding. You could put this one in a separate tub so he has a greater chance of feeding more often.

What food do you use at the moment? I'd recommend small Daphnia at this stage.

Also keep up with the daily water changes!

:happy:

xxianxx

Reaction score
Axolotls produce 100s of eggs per batch, they are not all viable. Most of the **** ones will die naturally die or be taken out by bigger healthier siblings. Size isnt necessarily an indicator of health, some healthy axolotls just grow slow but if its in conjunction with deformaties its best to cull as early as possible. At this size just net it out and flick it on the back of the head, death is instantaneous, due to brain injury and its considered humane by vet and animal welfare groups in the uk, usa ,aus etc

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1