Baby help

NellyAxolotl

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
I am new to the forum and recently joined because I was surprised by eggs in my tank the other week. I thought that both of my axolotls were girls but... surprise! I had been on vacation when they were laid and therefore did not want to cull them because I thought they were to far developed. I removed them from the tank and kept them in a smaller tank to keep them safe from the parents. I then waited to see if they would hatch and sure enough they began to hatch last week. I now have about 100 babies and I am trying my best to care for them. I am feeding them micro worms and they are divided up into about 10 containers at the moment but I plan to divide them more as they get larger. I feel that I am taking pretty great care of them for a beginner because I have only had a few die the day after they hatched and since none have died. I am worried though because I cannot keep 100 axolotls and am having trouble finding homes for them. I know that you can sell them on this site but I do not have enough posts yet to do so. Where else can I try to sell them or give them away to good homes?
Advice please!
Thank you

Attachments

• day old axolotls.jpg
    day old axolotls.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 147
There's always Craigslist (no guarantee than they'll get good homes, though). Or you could call around to pet shops in your area and see if you can't sell some of them. Try some of your friends. Or contact schools in your area that might want a fun class pet (teach kids about endangered species!). Good luck finding homes for your little babies; looks like you're giving them a good start!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back