Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Aggressive axolotl

monkeh

Reaction score
I recently inherited two axolotls from someone who could no longer care for them. I was (and mostly still am) a complete novice in axolotl care.

When I took them on, they were separated with a glass divider. The previous owner told me that the wild type had previously bitten off the albino's foot. Their former living conditions weren't optimal, so after rearranging their tank and getting the water parameters up to scratch I thought that with less stress, they'd get along fine.

They seemed all right for a few weeks. Then I noticed a chunk missing from the albino's tail. I left them to it, assuming it was probably an accident. Then I saw the wildtype grab the albino's foot in her mouth and shake it around. I thought it would be better to separate them for a bit, which I did. After two weeks of being back together for the second time, the albino has another chunk out of her tail.

The wildtype is definitely the more aggressive, and she's a little bigger - she will often try to attack the gravel pump, my hand, the turkey baster - anything that goes into the tank. Are the attacks likely just in her nature? I don't like to separate them as they each end up with less space and they like to swim, but equally I don't want the albino to be hurt.

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Wildtype do tend to be more aggressive, and it is in Axolotl's nature to snap when they sense movement as that's how they catch their prey, by sucking in water which pulls the prey into their mouth.

In a lot of cases Axolotl can live in group with no issues, it depends on whether they have grown up living with other Axoltols which means they are used to the presence of their tank mates so not to associate them with food. Accidents can still happen even with Axolotl that have grown up together, you have to make sure they are well fed so they aren't tempted to snap at their tank mates when they are hungry, they will eventually only associate food when they know you are dropping food into the tank.

If you'd like to try getting them used to being together more you could try using a plastic mesh partition instead of a glass one, this way there is more potential for them to be aware of each others presence but not have the ability to snap at each other. Then over time if your lucky and they are within a good feeding regime they may stop associating each others movement as food and they could live without the partition.

Mesh partition guide: DIY Dividers - Betta Splendid

If you need information on how to care for Axoltol use these websites: Caudata Culture Home Page
http://http://www.axolotl.org/

Water quality is important. You should purchase a testing kit: http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=580#.VjssplXhBpg
For a guide on maintaining your tanks water read this: http://www.oscarfishlover.com/how-to-cycle-your-aquarium

You can also search this forum for lots of information on all aspects of Axolotl.

Goodluck! ;)

Last edited:

charleybambino

Reaction score
...yet in my tank of four girls I would say the wild type is the most placid and least snappy!!
Are yours well fed with nice chunky earthworms.? she could prefere these to a tank mates leg!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1