Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

1st Fire bellied newts Age question. Help!

Psychonautx

Reaction score
Hello, a few days ago i aquired 4 chinese fire bellied newts. I believe they are juveniles as the largest is probably about 2 inches give or take. I currentlty have them in a mostly aquatic tank with plents of terrestrial area and floating plants. I am wondering as to how long the juvenile stage is before the newt goes mostly aquatic again. Ive searched for a answer specific to that question and havent found anything solid. Any jelp is appreciated ! Thanks in advance !

AuSu

Reaction score
Hi, I think there isn't any solid answer as the terrestial stage can take about one to three years. Your newts could well be adults yet if they're from pet store; wild caught and stressed about transport and poor nutrition & care and therefore staying on land. My smallest adult male is about two inches, maybe little more. If they're from breeder, he will surely know the age.
Take a look at the caudata culture caresheet if you already haven't, serve good food and be patient! Good luck with your new pets!

Psychonautx

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply ! Unfortunately i got them from a petshop. They were on sale and i got them at a great deal. They werent there very long though. I just measured the little guys. 3 are a solid 2.5 inches and the ladt hit an even 3. Im guessing they are slightly midway throught the terrestrial stage. I have noticed the larger of the 4th doesnt mind being submerged but just doent do it willingly often. The other 3 seem to be a little afraid of the water. I am wondering if i should change the setup.

Rupert

Reaction score
I think they're mostly large enough for aquatic stage. But do give them time to settle in before you make any changes. Keep an eye on them for a week or two and see if they plunge in.
The easiest way to tell i they're aquatic or terrestrial is by their skin. Terrestrial forms have rougher, almost dry-feeling skin while aquatic forms have smooth, wet, slippery-feeling skin.

Psychonautx

Reaction score
Definitely. I thought the same as i only had them since sunday. They are smooth but arent very slimy or moist. Im trying to put yp a picture of the enclosure but cant seem to do it. Help ?

Psychonautx

Reaction score
Did it work ? Lol

Attachments

• 20151110_083852.jpg
    20151110_083852.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 640

Psychonautx

Reaction score
Here's a pic of the largest

Attachments

• IMG_20151110_102033.jpg
    IMG_20151110_102033.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 219

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the site. :)
Petstore firebellies are collected in huge numbers from their breeding ponds in China so they are almost always mature adults, the smallest ones are most likely males that were breeding for the first time. To give them the best chance of recovering you need to provide optimal conditions and hopefully they will adapt to life in captivity.
Caudata.org People: Jen - The Pet Shop Firebelly Newt Tragedy

Fortunately they are very easy to care for, just give them at least ten gallons of clean, cold water rammed full of live aquatic plants, the cheap pondweed looking stuff most petstores carry is perfect, and keep water movement to an absolute minimum. With enough plants in there a filter isn't needed, the plants will look after the water quality once the tank cycles, but until that happens you should keep a close eye on ammonia and nitrite levels so you can make regular partial water changes when needed.

They might refuse to go in the water to begin with, this is a reaction to the foul conditions they are shipped in, but if your conditions are perfect you can leave out a solid land area altogether as long as there's somewhere to rest near the surface, the live plants are ideal for this.

Over the next few weeks you should be keeping an eye out for disease, especially wound like skin sores or any swellings that appear. As well as those, these kinds of imported newts are highly stressed and prone to all kinds of problems, so if you notice anything adrift be sure to isolate the sick animal from the others asap to prevent the illness from spreading.

Last edited:

Psychonautx

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the info. They look relatively healthy right now. I wonder on opinions of the enclosure. Should i add more water ? Should i take out areas where its completely dry so as to encourage them to go into the water ? I did see the care sheet where it recommended that.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Generally speaking the more water the better, A larger volume of water is more stable quality and temperature wise than a smaller one. There is a bigger margin for error in a bigger tank, ammonia or nitrite can build up pretty quickly in a small one, especially if you're just starting to learn about aquarium keeping.

I would remove the reptile carpet or whatever it is, it will make cleaning the tank a nightmare and there are no benefits to it being in there. I sometimes use washed kids play sand if there are going to be plants that need a substrate, or just leave the bottom bare for easy maintenance.

In my opinion the most important parts of a tank for newly imported firebellies are excellent water quality, plenty of live plants and no water movement. By the time they reach petstores imported newts have often gone into terrestrial mode to escape the poor conditions, this means they lack the broad tail fins needed for swimming and can actually drown in open water, the masses of plants give them something to hang onto and the still water makes it easier for them if they do decide to swim. Once they start spending time in the water they will regrow their tail fins so the plants can be thinned out a bit if you want, but Firebellies are dependent on plants for hanging out in and egg laying so they should really have access to thick vegetation.

It goes without saying that a tight fitting lid is essential, firebellies can easily climb the glass or emergent plants and escape through some pretty small gaps. Unless they are found in a matter of hours they will dry out and die very quickly.

Psychonautx

Reaction score
Thank you for the info ! I used repti carpet because i heard sand was dangerous to the newts. I will remove the repti carpet and put some sand. I have firebelly toads so its not my 1st time around. I will add some more water as well. I have a screen lid so as s to prevent their escape. Where can i get thick submersible grass thats not too expensive ? I want my tank to be fairly well planted but find petstore plants to be way overpriced . From the picture above , how much more water should i add ? They are in a 10 gallon tank

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ten gallons is really the minimum recommended volume for aquatic species so I would fill it nearly to the top, once settled captive Chinese firebellies will often be 100% aquatic so land areas are usually a waste of valuable space.
I get almost all my live plants from ebay. It sounds risky, but in truth they are cheap, they usually arrive in perfect shape and are in another league quality wise.
If you have firebellied toads already its vital not to use the same nets etc for both tanks. The two species are often mixed in petstores which is thought to be one of the causes of disease outbreaks.

Reactions: sde

Psychonautx

Reaction score
I do understand that 10 gallons is minimum. They still seem quite small so i think they will be ok for now. Can you list out some of your favorite aquatic plants ?

Last edited:

CatSpit

Reaction score
My tank (for fire bellies) has Anacharis Egeria Elodea Densa (which grows quickly), Moneywort (another plant that grows tall) and Ludwigia Repens (this has grown quite a mass at the top of my tank and the newts spend most of their time hanging out in there). I also have foreground plants like Anubias.

I would totally recommend getting the Elodea as it is a fast grower and will branch out as you trim it. It takes up most of the room in my 45 gallon tank and as it is quite lengthy, it floats along the top of the water.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

CatSpit

Reaction score

Psychonautx

Reaction score
You guys and girls are awesome ! I have another question. From my research i have found the FBN like still water. Is a filter a necessity? While they are terrestrial or just aquatic ? Will water changes do ? Lastly how do you guys go about cyclyin the newts tank ? I have a filter in my FBT & guppie tank thats cycled. Can i transfer that ? Once again thanks in advance. I have treated the water fyi !

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1