Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help a newbie owner out?

Lelisa

Reaction score
I recently bought Bruce Evans about two weeks ago and she was doing fine in that time period. But after a few days in, I have been noticing that she has some growth on her left gill and tail that worries me. I have also begun noticing that she would often try to scratch at her gills where the growth is prominent. Her tail has begun to look like it has been torn too. I'm worried and stressed about what to do, but I am also hesitant about the salt water bath approach and unsure about the tea bath approach too. :(:confused::cry::uhoh::errr::sad:

*she is eating regularly.
*I keep her in the basement so the temperature is relatively low around 68/66 degrees.
*I did try fridging her which only lasted about three minutes because I was so cautious and all she did was poop.

Lelisa

Reaction score
Here are a few pictures.

Attachments

• help.jpg
    help.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 98
  • helpp.jpg
    helpp.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 93
  • helppp.jpg
    helppp.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 85
  • helpppp.jpg
    helpppp.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 92
  • helppppp.jpg
    helppppp.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 88
  • helpppppp.jpg
    helpppppp.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 87
  • helppppppp.jpg
    helppppppp.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 91

Skudo09

Reaction score
The tail looks like an injury from possibly another axolotl or maybe something in the tank. It should heal up well with good water quality. I can't quite see the growth on the gills very well. If it looks like cotton wool it may be fungus starting to form. It doesn't look bad enough for a salt bath though. Salt baths are very irritating to the skin so it is nicer for them to opt for more mild treatments for mild fungal infections. Fridging is not necessary in this case.

Have you tested the parameters for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH? Maintaining good water quality will aid in healing so it is best to test the parameters often and regularly.

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
It does look like there is something very small at the base of the gill, can't quite make it out but I can see something. As Skudo said the tail will heal, doesn't look like a problem at all. Just need to good water quality to ensure your Axolotl doesn't become susceptible to fungus and so the wound will heal.

Water quality is one of the top factors of keeping Axolotl. Check out these websites and read thoroughly for great reliable information on keeping Axolotls:

Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling

Caudata Culture Axolotl Articles

Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1