Chytrid.

Wildwestherps

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Can axolotls get chytrid? If so, how do you tell, and will they show any symptoms?

Any Amphibian can get chytrid but its usually frogs that are the targeted by this pathogen

Yes axolotls can get chytrid, they dont appear to show many symptoms though. Numerous sal and newt species can carry chytrid, as long as they are in good health it doesnt appear to have much impact on them.

There is a chytrid for frogs (Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis) and another for sals (Batrachochytrium salamandrivorans).
Both thrive in keratinized tissues, so tadpoles and larvae are poorly affected.
They normally are not transmitted by eggs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back