Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Brand new Axie owner

Chevybabe1961

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I just got my first Axolotl a few weeks ago. He is doing really well, eating quite well for me, and I just ADORE him. Although I was curious, is there a specific type of lighting the is better for them. Right now I have just a cheapy day/night function comprised of LED's. Is this alright or should I use something else.
Thanks!
Miss

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Congrats on your new Axolotl and welcome to the forum!

Axolotls don't require any specific lighting. Lights are often needed if the tank is planted, or for just generally displaying the aquarium. As long as the light is not too bright and the Axolotl has plenty of cover i.e hides/ornaments/plants.

As you are new to the Axolotl world, take a look at these websites (they will provide you the best information on caring for your Axolotl):
Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander
Caudata Culture Axolotl Articles

One key factor to keeping your Axolotl is water quality: Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling

Goodluck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!