Question: What's this on his/her tail? Is s/he okay?

matthewC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone with some knowledge and experience with axolotls help me out please?

I noticed before that their tail looked as it did, and to me it doesn't look right. I'm not sure if its infected or if it's normal...

( the picture should be below )

Thank you so much :happy:

Matthew

Not sure if pictures where added...

Should be now.

Attachments

• IMG_20151113_171511.jpg
    IMG_20151113_171511.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 155
Hello matthewC,

I can't see your axxie's tail very clearly, but I can see pinkish bits there. This looks like either a bite or a tank injury - is she (I'll assume a 'she' until I can see a tail bump) in with other axolotls? Could she have caught it on an ornament or in a filter?

Either way, it doesn't look serious. If you begin to see fluffy, cottony bits that don't brush off when you touch them, then you might have fungus on your hands. If it's just skin that looks a little red or dead skin, then you have the choice of either leaving her in her current tank, feeding her regularly and keeping an eye on her temperature, or tea bathing her.

Tea baths tighten the axolotl's pores, preventing further infection. They also kill bacteria, clean wounds, soothe the slime coat and promote calm for most axxies. I had a male with a severe head wound and it fixed him up in two days!

If she is on her own you can add tea to her tank with no worries. Sometimes people remove them from the tank if they are with others to prevent the spread of infection or to ensure none of the others have a reaction (which is extremely rare in any case; I've only ever seen it once and I am dubious about that one case). All you do is take a regular (not herbal or fruit) tea bag and add hot water in a dark mug (I say a dark mug because the tannin will stain any lighter mugs). Allow it to go cold and voila! Add the tea to your tub or tank for a tea bath. You can top it up as you do water changes if you like. It's just an added extra if you are worried or if you think she's just not healing as quickly as you'd expect.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back