Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axie Hatchlings Not Eating

AnimaliaAxolotl

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

For the first time since I've been breeding Axies, my hatchlings are not eating. From BBS, Daphnia, Microworms, and even chopped up Black Worms; they are not interested :confused:. They are about four days old and have already used up their yolk sac. They don't 'jump' or even 'snap' at the live food and just lay in the same spot until there is a disturbance. Water is being changed and temperature is just right.

Any suggestions ?

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
It's not always easy to see when they eat, the motion of feeding is not always as obvious as it is with older Axolotls. Aslong as the water is changed most days 100% with cool dechlorinated water (depending on the tank/tub size) they should be fine. I feed mine with baby daphnia as the adult Daphnia are often too large for hatchlings to eat.

AnimaliaAxolotl

Reaction score
UPDATE:
As a last resort to finding food for my axolotl larvae I did what I used to do for my guppy fry and decided to cook an egg yolk. Instead of mashing it up and filtering the egg yolk, I just placed a section into the water. Not expecting much since Axies usually don't eat things that are not in motion, they started to gather around the egg yolk and eat.

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Very strange, I'd still try to use baby Daphnia since I'm not sure of the nutrient content of egg yolk.

Its not always easy to get bags of baby Daphnia, its hit an miss depending on the source. the adult Daphnia are considerably larger so are not suitable for a new hatchling to eat, the baby Daphnia are like tiny little specks in comparison. I use a plastic syringe to suck out the baby Daphnia leaving the adults behind.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1