Not eating losing weight

Danilugosi

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all my axie hasn't eaten for a week, butt was floating, belly rubs so he's in the fridge. This helped constipation last time.
He's never scared of me, but he last few days he's pushing his gills right back and scampering away.
I've done a water change and put him back in the fridge. This is day 2 of fridging.
I've tried rubbing earthworms with fresh garlic but still not eating.
I've tried bloodworm, black worm, earthworms, frozen fish and pellets.
I know he's fussy with food, but this is all unusual.

I'm headed overseas in December and I want him well before then as my dad is looking after him and I want it easy on my axie and my dad as he has no experience beyond gold fish.

Thoughts? Experiences? Advice?
8ee1eaddaa1d3876215cc4949e67f248.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is unlikely to eat in the fridge as the cold temperature slows down their metabolism.

Have you tested the water parameters for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH and temperature?
Is there anything he could have swallowed in his tank?
Do you usually offer live fish? I see one in the picture provided. Were these quarantined first?
What type of frozen fish were you offering?

The water is all fine, I put him in the fridge because it's helped with constipation before. He coughed up sand, hasn't had sand in the tank for about a month now (it was super fine sand).
The temp is around 19-20 degrees Celsius - a teeny bit high but I was hoping it would help with his metabolism.
I will post more pictures of the frozen fish he was eating, the live ones were quarantined.
His activity today seems to be normal.
I'm 'trying' to feed him each day. If he doesn't eat it I remove it.
Usually he has to be hand fed because he's spoilt and that's how he's conditioned but he doesn't like mum right now haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back