Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding worms etc.

Psychonautx

Reaction score
Hello. I am just wondering on what the different methods you guys use to feed the newts worms. I find myself intruding too much when i feed with tweezers. I tend to drop the worm which then leads to me putting my hand in the tank and scaring the little guys. Also the worm seems to big for them to eat easily but to small for me to grip appropriately. How do you feed your newts ?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I hand feed some of my newts, but for my firebellies I just toss in the worms and let them sort it out amongst themselves. they're not aggressive so they soon let go if they grab each other by mistake. I also give them Daphnia and mosquito larvae, or anything else I think they might like. As long as you remove anything left over by the next morning you shouldn't have any problems.

Doomus

Reaction score
For my bigger species I just cut the worms in half or into three depending on the size or the worm and for my smaller species I just cut them into small pieces and just drop them into there dishes with tweezers and if there's anything left over the next day just suck it up with a turkey baster

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Psychonautx

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply ! Do the worms need to be moving or alive for them to feed ? If i cut the worms up and put them at the bottom of the tank wont the they die before the newts come across them ? If so will the newts still eat it ? The newts are too small to eat even a half a worm.

Doomus

Reaction score
They will still wiggle around even after cut up and in the water for awhile after and cut the worm into whatever size will be good for the newts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Methos5K

Reaction score
Chopped earthworms is to newts like bacon is to me. The smell :D Even if you chop the worms into tiny bits, newts will still know that it is dinner. I use a ceramic feeding dish, drop the food in with a turkey baster (a newt-keepers swiss army knife), and clean it all up in the morning. There is rarely leftovers :happy:

Psychonautx

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the help. It really is appreciated ! Before i left to work this morning i chopped up a earthworm into about 5 or 6 pieces, my newts are small lol, and i placed them at the bottom of the tank, i hope they do eat them as i have been tweezer feeding the last 2 days and i would like for them to get accustomed to looking for their food at the bottom of the tank so that way i can just leave the food for them while i work ! I need to find a little dish that i can use for them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1