Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help! Question!

joshuaminki

Reaction score
Hello! I am planning to buy an axolotl and I have several questions to ask.

1. Can I just use the API quick start products or other similar types of products to cycle the tank instead of waiting for a long time?

2. Will axolotls eat frozen bloodworms and pellets?

3. How do you water change the tank?

4. What conditioner product should I use for water changes?

5. Will 40 gallon tank be enough for 2 axolotls?

Thank you!:D

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Hello, You've come to the right place to get information!

1. Cycle boosters and quick starters seem to be very hit and miss, you cant expect the bacteria needed to cycle your tank to sit in a bottle for extended periods of time on a shelf. But there are some which have found it works. I'd always go for the natural cycle. Make sure you purchase a water testing kit, this is recommended by the majority of users on this forum: http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?sectionid=1&catid=18&subcatid=94&id=580#.VkrzxFXhBph. Also pay close attention to your tank cycle, its highly important to give your Axolotls a healthy environment. Read these links for information on cycling and water quality: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/waterquality.shtml / http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

2. Axolotls will eat frozen bloodworm and pellets, although bloodworms are not the best nutrition. It also depends on the size of the Axolotls your looking to buy. Are you buying juveniles or adults? You want to check the nutritional content of the pellets and other ingredients to make sure you buy the best to keep your Axolotls healthy. Read this to understand the nutrition needed: Caudata Culture Articles - Nutritional Values I use these pellets: https://www.jbl.de/?lang=en&mod=products&func=detail&id=4996. Worms are also one of the best sources of nutrients for your Axolotl, read this link for more info Caudata Culture Articles - Worms. A mixture of live food and pellets is a good diet for Axolotl.

3. To change water I use a siphon. It's a bit of a challenge to figure out of to get it going but once you have its easy every time: EDGE Gravel Cleaner | 11057 | Maintenance | Fluval. This will also allow you to siphon any waste from the bottom of the tank.

4. I use Fluval Aqua Plus Water Conditioner, never had any issues: Fluval Aqua Plus 120ml

5. If the tank is 40gal long it should be perfect.

For lots of information on keeping Axolotls check these links:

Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander
Caudata Culture Axolotl Articles

Goodluck ;)

Skudo09

Reaction score
1. Can I just use the API quick start products or other similar types of products to cycle the tank instead of waiting for a long time?

There is no instant method of cycling a tank. Some have found the bottled bacteria to be helpful in speeding the process up a little but you still need to be prepared for the process to take some time. Personally I prefer not to use the bottled bacteria and don't recommend it. I have had an instance where the tank appeared cycled but soon after crashed. I have read a theory that the bottled bacteria can give a 'false cycle'. I cannot say for sure that this is what happened in my case or that the bottled bacteria was involved but I am inclined to avoid using them and have managed to cycle all my other tanks without the use of these products.

It is up to you whether you want to use the product but it will not cycle your tank instantly.

2. Will axolotls eat frozen bloodworms and pellets?

Yes they will eat both these items. Bloodworm is great for young juveniles and as a treat but as they grow, axolotls will need more nutrition than bloodworm can provide. Good quality newt or axolotl pellets are a good staple diet as are earthworms. I would opt for earthworms over bloodworm (as soon as they are big enough to consume earthworms).

3. How do you water change the tank?

I also use a syphon and hover it over the surface of the sand in my tank to suck up debris on the sand and use buckets to refill the tank (dechlorinate the water first before adding new water). I also stir the sand up before I do my water changes to prevent gas pockets in the sand building up.

4. What conditioner product should I use for water changes?

Any dechlorinator that removes chlorine chloramine and heavy metals is suitable. Though I would avoid ones with aloe Vera added.

5. Will 40 gallon tank be enough for 2 axolotls?

Yes that should be fine. I prefer to go by length as well and allow one foot per axolotl plus one extra to allow for hides, plants and ornaments etc. so in a four foot tank I would have three axolotls.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1