Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Injured axolotl

nicfear

Reaction score
Hello guys,

My poor Micky has sustained a leg and tail injury and now it looks like he has an infection. I have separated him from the others due to this and also because I've noticed he has lost a bit of weight, so I wanted to hand feed him as well.

Do you have any advice as to what other steps I can do? Im starting to panic a bit now. I have read the other posts here but am unsure what precisely I should do.
He is deeply loved.

nicfear

Reaction score
Here are a couple of photos, I've also found a vet that may be able to help but I'm still awaiting his reply.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 166

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
The limb and tail have fungus growing on them, to prevent further fungus and infection you will want to put your Axolotl in a separate container with dechlorinated water, this will need to be changed 100% everyday. Once in the container/tub put your Axolotl in the fridge, the low temperatures will slow metabolism and allow healing. Follow this guide to fridge your Axolotl safely: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beginner-newt-salamander-axolotl-help-topics/f48-axolotls-ambystoma-mexicanum/f58-sick-axolotl/85263-axolotl-fridging-guide.html

You will also want to do salt baths to help remove and prevent further fungus and infection. Follow this guide to perform salt baths: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beginner-newt-salamander-axolotl-help-topics/f48-axolotls-ambystoma-mexicanum/f58-sick-axolotl/72698-salt-bath-picture-tutorial.html

The torn limb will drop off eventually. Then a new limb will begin to grow.

Do the above and keep ontop of the 100% daily water changes and your Axolotl should be fine! Only salt bath upto twice a day as it is very irritating to the skin and stressful.

nicfear

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice, I will commence ASAP!
I spoke to a breeder who also advised me to use a product called 'Melafix' which is a antibacterial remedy. Have you heard of this product and would you recommended me using this insync with salt baths etc?

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
I don't think Melafix is for Axolotls and there is mixed opinions on its use. Personally Id stay clear of it and follow the instructions above for safe proven methods!

nicfear

Reaction score
Thanks all for taking the time to reply to my query but sadly my poor Micky passed away this morning. I am truly heartbroken and he will be deeply missed, he already is deeply missed...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nicfear

Reaction score
I dig your profile pic Skudo09... Identical to Eddy, my golden girl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!