Little guy with external parasites

AuSu

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Display Name
Auli
Today I feel like ****. My only promising c. pyrrhogaster morph seems to have external parasites :( This occurred really fast & sudden. It has been doing well, eating and being a lively tiny creature. A few weeks ago there was something with shedding but afterwards everything fine. Yesterday it was slower and didn't eat, just tried to take a snap but not really. Today, it was not moving at all and I first thought it's dead. But it's still alive and I saw two miniature white worms on it. Now, it has old skin on it (I removed it). I tried to "wash" it to get the worms out and now I try tea + methylene blue, these were what I found quickly. But I guess it's gone, it's so tiny and I can't put it into anything stronger - if it's not killed by the worms, then it's by the medication. I guess I'll see into tomorrow and if any progress happens, then think again but else, I have to euthanize it. Just wanted to share this; and yes, I've fed it both carnivorous sticks and live food from outdoors so they could have entered there.

Are you sure they're parasites and not something from out of the substrate? Maybe it was just struggling to shed? They can look almost dead sometimes, but if the old skin has come off it might be fine once its recovered.

Thanks for the support and sorry my bad language yesterday! I was quite unhappy and mixed. Little guy seems better now. It didn't eat yet (offered morning and a few minutes ago) but is moving, still a bit clumsy. Haven't seen any further worms so I really hope they'd be from the surroundings. I think I'll still make a tea bath this night if there's a skin problem. I'll let you know how this continues.

Hi,
just wanted to tell you this baby didn't survive. I'm not sure now what was wrong; after cleaning the newt when I saw the worms, there were no new worms and it seemed get better. But no eating, I tried the variety it was used to eat willingly but no interest. There were no wounds or sores and the body shape was normal, no bloating or strange curves. I kept it on a natural terrestial setup with mosses and leaves from the forest and then the end time on moist paper and a hide. Maybe even the fact that it was from the first time laying (female didn't lay in it's previous home), food quality of the mother -> better or worse possibilities for the babies etc.
Now I have no pyrrho morphs, there are some new little ones in parents tank so I have some time to study these things better. There are four hypselotriton orientalis morphs that have now been on land about a year, so that's the next step I guess, to try to get them aquatic slowly. I hope that goes well...
And yeah, after these experiences I really can't believe in stories about pet store captive bred masses anymore. Even that I know some of you experienced hobbyists get great results :)

Sorry to hear that Auli, I know how determined you were to raise those pyrrhos. Put it down to the learning process though, if it was that easy everyone would be doing it! ;)
You'll get the hang of it in the end though, you'll be hand feeding them while watching the telly before in no time! :)

It is worth trying the natural leaf litter method I mentioned as well though, even if you try that with some of the babies and another method with the rest, that way you don't have all your eggs in one basket so to speak.

The Japanese raise pyrrhos on pellets alone in large numbers for laboratory use, but they do it by using chemicals to postpone metamorphosis until the newts are almost fully grown. That way they change from overgrown larvae straight into the adult form and miss out the tricky juvenile stage all together! I looked into doing the same thing to supply petstores wholesale instead of them buying in WC H. orientalis, but in the end I didn't have the heart to send my newts to an almost certain early death.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back