Red sore on newt

Opuzz21

Reaction score
Country
United States
My newt is in the process of shedding and has a very large sore on his stomach that wasnt there 2 hours ago help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 118
I'm afraid these kinds of sores are very common on imported newts and can spread and kill very quickly if left untreated.

Caudata Culture Articles - Sores

You can try treating with Neosporin ointment, the type without painkiller in it, but you really need to see a vet and get the correct antibiotics for the best chance of saving it, as shown in this thread.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...7-newt-salamander-help/101508-newt-wound.html

Its also important that conditions in its tank are perfect in every way. Imported newts are extremely stressed, so an optimal environment will give it the best chance of recovering.

Last edited:
Also what species is it? From that photo, it looks like a Paramesotriton, but unsure what species it is

It's P. chinensis by the look of it, hard to be certain from the pic.

I will definetly go see a vet. The newts were sold to me as giant firebellies but i beileve that paddletail newts are commonly sold in stores as giant firebellies

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back