Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Any experience with bacterial molchpest, "the shine" out there?

SnotOtter

Reaction score
I'm fishing for any information about this disease. I have a recently morphed newt that seems to have symptoms of it and am just trying to gather as much info as possible. Thanks in advance for any input.

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
No, haven't any experience on it. Here's a quote from the Culture articles:

This sign of poor health is common in newly-imported Tylototritons. Animals often recover from this problem if kept cool and terrestrial and fed well.

Hope this helps!

SnotOtter

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. They arent imports, I have 12 juvies that morphed a couple months ago. I hatched them myself from long term wild caught captives from a friend. The one in question has been runty since morphing and is about half the size of the rest. Theyve been terrestrial since morphing and kept at mid to high 50'sF. I think he may have underlying congenital issues and his immune system is compromised in some way. Although I wont use him for the future breeding project I'd still like to keep him going if I can get him strong and normalized. Be a nice solo pet despite being a runt. I've started treating him with antibiotics (baytril) and so far so good. Fingers crossed.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've used baytril injections a few times over the years when my tortoises were sick. We can only get it with a prescription from a vet over here in the UK, but it does seem to work very well for herps, the biggest problem for me was actually injecting an angry 15 kilo leopard tortoise in the thigh, I got my finger broken one time when she clammed up with it trapped between her leg and shell, at least there's none of that with newts! :)

SnotOtter

Reaction score
Its also only available from a vet/doctor here as well. Its a great broad spectrum and one of the few antibiotics that is safe for reptile/amphibs. Luckily I just apply to porous newt skin and walk away, no tortoise wrestling. :D Little guy is still improving. Doesnt look as wet as he has been. Few more days and I should know for sure if its working or just hopeful optimism. Have a good turkey day to all the staters out there!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1