Losing weight and cant keep food down

duckhunter

Reaction score
Country
United States
One of my axololts has gotten very thin, I can see her ribs. I feed her the same as my other axolotl that she lives with. She has beem less actively lately as well and has been getting picked on by the other one. I dont know how much food she has been actually keeping down because sometime she will throw up a worm and the other one will eat it. She usually active and excited at meal time but today she wasnt interested.
I feed them earthworms, frozen/thawed blood worms and sometimes a feeder rosy red minnow as a treat.
I suspect worms/parasites based on the weight loss but Im not sure
What do you think?

Re: Loosing weight and cant keep food down

I'm no expert but I was reading in my veterinary manuals about amphibians and their diseases, the other day, since a guy in another thread had problems with his Axie.
There were a lot of different things that could cause emaciation and loss of appetite.
Different types of parasites, infections, organ failure, fungus, stress, flaws in water parameters, etc.

But what you need to do immediately - is to separate her from the other one, before something really bad happens. I had to put my female axie to sleep yesterday for exactly this reason - she had been losing weight since she'd been eating poorly - and when she got weaker - one of the others attacked her and tore off a large part of one of her front legs.
The wound got infected and killed her even if I tried my best for a couple of days, to save her, by fridging and salt baths and trying to get her to eat.

So - to avoid possible injuries from the other Axie - remove her and put her in some other aquarium or any kind of container. It's natural for animals to pick on the weak, sometimes chase them away and even to feed on them, so she's a sitting duck while with the other one.
Also - if it's fungi or parasites or some other infectious cause - you risk that the other Axie gets ill as well.

So start by separating them. Keep an eye on the other one as well so you can catch potential symtoms there, early on.
Keeping them separated also gives you a chance to know exactly how much she eats and when she poops or pukes.

There are people here at the forum who are knowledgeable about problems in Axolotl health so I'm sure someone can help out but I suggest that you post pics of her (both of them might be good for comparison) and tell about the tank - if you have gravel, what the water parameters and temperature are, any info that might help to give a clue about what might be causing it.
Are the earth worms bought from a source that's "clean"? That doesn't use any toxins in the farming?

Re: Loosing weight and cant keep food down

Bambi is right, you should separate your Axolotl into a separate container with cool dechlorinated water to make it easier to feed and avoid added stress or accidents from the other Axolotl. Change the containers water everyday so that no ammonia, nitrites or nitrates can build up and harm your Axolotl. Try feeding cut up worm daily. Then could you post some pictures of your Axoltol and tank??

Do you check your water parameters? If not you need to make sure your 'Main' tank is a safe environment for your Axoltols, this begins with checking your water for Ammonia, Nitrite, NitrAtes, and PH. Ammonia, and Nitrties are lethal to Axolotls (NitrAtes being less toxic in low concentrations) and can cause problems such as not eating, fungus, ammonia burn, and disease, so you need to make sure your tank is cycled with beneficial bacteria which breaks down the Ammonia and Nitrites. This bacteria acts as a 'biofilter', keeping your water safe.

Read these links on cycling your tank and water quality for complete information:
Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling
Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality

I have an extra 5 gallon i could put her in for now, is that big enough?
The worms I use I bought from petco so I sure hope they are safe for them to eat.

The pic you posted of her - I'm not sure if it's the pic quality, if it's colour variation of her skin or what - but it looks as if she has abrasions on her feet and legs? ("Wounds", abrasions on the slime coat/skin.) Are there?

If there is - there might be several causes - a "harmless" reason (althoug one that needs to be fixed) would be that there is something in the aquarium that scrapes her skin.
A more severe reason would be either a dermal disease condition or chemical burns (from bad water quality.)
Since I also noticed that she seems to be missing several toes - I thought it might be best to ask. Toes can be severed and skin scraped, by sharp material or a friend nipping and the fact that they don't grow out could just have to do with her poor weight since the nutrition she gets is low and therefore keeps her alive rather than healing injuries.
But it might also be due to other things, you would know best :)

Yeah her toes are all messed up, she is missing some on some feet and has extra ones growing where they are not supposed to be. That comes from her getting picked on in the past, usually during feeding time. The other axolotl has a much greater feeding response and will sometimes she latch on to her legs when food is coming. They are separated now though.

She is eating better now. Eating 1-2 worms almost everyday. I still suspect parasites or somekind of disease because of the rapid wieght loss. She has gotten this skinny in just the last 2-3 months and was eating fine for most of it. Is there anything I can give her that might help?

If she's eating now then your probably okay, keep up the daily feeds and she should put weight back on.

Do you check your water for Ammonia, Nitrite, and NirAtes?

Water quality is one of the most important things to keep your Axolotl healthy

Is your main tank cycled ?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back