HELP: back end keeps floating

Salmantha

Reaction score
Country
United States
My axolotls back end keeps floating up.... I left at 12 in the afternoon and came back at 9 when my shift was up and I find her vertical, back end up. I poke her and she moves around and goes to the bottom, but her back end keeps floating up. She can't keep it down! What is going on??

It sounds like your axolotl may need to do a poo or may be constipated. What are you feeding? Is there anything in the tank that could be swallowed like gravel? Has she been pooing normally?

This happened to my little axie in the summer. He was floating for two weeks and we eventually found out it was due to the water (nitrate ammonia, all that kind of stuff) i would reccomend buying some strip tests and comparing them to what the levels say on the internet and seeing what has gone wrong. If you do not have a filter in your tank, this could also mean that the water levels are a bit messed up so i could reccomend having a look at that too.

Other than this, you axolotl may just be constipated so id check that what you are feeding them is axie friendly then if all else fails i would try fridging them to clear out the system.

My axolotl just started doing this slightly, what happened to yours? I'm going to do a bunch of testing tomorrow.

Usually floating like this is due to constipation, and the axolotl will stop when they have eliminated. Sometimes this can be due to water quality or temperature as well.

If your liquid tests come back with perfect results (0 amm, 0 nitrite, less than 20ppm nitrate) and your temperature is below 22 degrees Celsius, then it may just be that she needs to poop - she will do so in her own time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back