Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New to Kaiseri

Nickerson

Reaction score
Hello, I been into Dart Frogs for about 5 years, and I saw one of these (Kaiseri Newts) and knew I wanted one badly. Granted I don't jump into things right away. I been doing some research on them off and on for about a year, and now I'm really digging into it.

I got a guy here in Kansas City (Emerald Exotics) that builds custom tanks. Plus coming from and awesome hobby of dart frogs. I hope to build a somewhat elaborate build for my future pet.

From what I understand, these newts will stay fully aquatic if allowed. So I'm debating on whether to just let them be aquatic, or make a one third land/two third water tank, and drain the tank during certain seasons. I would think one third/two third idea would be harder. Not just given the part of draining the water. But for them to switch the types of food that are available, could cause more of a mortal issue.

But overall, I plan to make a land and water tank. I also plan to build a channel, for water to flow and filter. A few other questions I have are, can I have a misting system to water plants, would mist every few days. Do a false bottom on land area. Would that work?

Last one would be how many newts could I have. If I do a big tank like 60 gallons. Leaving 1/3 land, and 2/3 water?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!